'The Sleeper'

Maybe, but it will make up for it in the top end!

I have drag slicks this time out, and if still continues to spin, then back to the drawing board!

It's a never ending project!

Before the finals on Sunday, I noticed that the pipe connecting the manifold to the wastegate was cracked, but in shear desperation I still decided to run.

It didn't feel down on power, far from it, and the boost was still in check, but the run home (another 60 odd miles) must have finished it off.

The crack now runs 90% of the way round the pipe and it is nearly broken off completely.

I will need to think of what to do, as I have already repaired it in the past after an earlier dyno' session!

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his top mount manifold, he is Spyke's housemate too, might be worth shooting Spyke a PM and asking how Dave repaired his mani?

He is using a cast stainless manifold now after breaking 2 or maybe 3 top mount manifolds on his GTIR. The first time it was repaired and braced by Phil at Unique Exhausts and then just cracked somewhere else.

I'll try and get some pictures tonight.

I remember seeing that when I came up to yours. Looked like a strong bit of kit. I think Dave said that they have been used for 600+bhp builds before.

I think I'll just go and crack one off...

WastegatePipeDamage.jpg

Maybe, but the wastegate pipe was never designed for this manifold, so it it carrying a lot of extra weight that isn't braced!

get it re-welded. try and make some sort or bracket the bolts to the head or the exhaust manifold flange to try and support some of the weight. On some of the 200SX manifolds there is bracket from the exhaust flange and the turbo flange that you bolt on to support the weight to stop it cracking. Good luck with it as it looks like its going to be a bit of work with the lack of space you have

Sorry it's late but this is what he is using now:

img-545-1-large.jpg

How it looks in the bay:

IMAG0241.jpg

Hope this helps mate.

Thanks bud, but I'm just going to repair and brace mine!

If it breaks again, then I will look at another manifold!

Back
Top Bottom