'The Sleeper'

It's was mapped at 22 psi the last time it was on the dyno'.

It made 403 WHP in 5th gear (as it was spinning the tyres on the rollers in 4th gear...LOL).

It would be good to take it to 30 psi tomorrow as that was the target when I first built the engine.

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!!!

Why didn't I just stick with 22 psi and have done with it...

OK, here's what happened today at the dyno.

After running the car up, we decided to see wear the 2nd boost controoler would take the boost level too. Upon seeing that it would go to 1.8 BAR (27 psi) with activating just the secondary controller, we thought we would map the car at that , and this would allow us to set the other controller to somewhere about 18 psi, thus giving us traction in 3rd gear...BONUS!!!

The first thing we noticed was that when the turbo first came on boost that it was surging, and because of this we couldn't run 27 psi and had to stick with 22 psi. We think the reason may be the mismatch of the compressor and turbine, as I had a GT40 compressor wheel fitted over the stanard GT35 compressor wheel.

No big problems as we never really planned on running that much boost at that RPM level anyways.

So, we continued to map the car at 27 psi and we got to 4500 rpm were it was already making 349 WHP.

We tried the next point at 5000 rpm and the gearbox let go...in 5th gear.

Unfortunately when it did this, we lost all load on the engine and it went wrong big style as it dropped down to 2 cylinders.

Putting two & two together, we assumed that the RPM level may have gone a bit beyond the rev limit of 8600 RPM, and a quick check of the laptop showed a max of 9315 RPM:shock::shock::shock:

HOW THE FUCK DID IT GO THAT HIGH?

So, while I was waiting for the RAC to tow me home, I wisked of the rocker cover and found the following...

DSCF0779.jpg

DSCF0780.jpg

Luckily there appears to be no damage to the valves, as the compression and leak down is fine.

I will have to clean up the cam lobes as there are a few marks on them caused by the damaged arms, but luckily I found the dislodged parts, including the 4 shims, so the engine should be OK once the rocked arms are replaced.

But I think that we have found a limit to the P11-144 gearbox...LOL!

Here is the dyno. graph, or as far as we got anyways...

27psiin5thGear28thMay2010.jpg

I had a quick estimate and worked out that it must have been close to 500 lbft of torque when 5th gear let go!

What's next...who knows!!!

Cheers

Dave

P.S. I think I may have to cancel the outing for the 20th of June...DOH!

Sorry to hear this Dave.

It was that premonition you had Dave, im tellin ya. I didnt want to say anything...but you knew something was going to go wrong!:lol:

Things could have been much worse, so lets at least look on the bright side, one lost gearbox, one salvaged engine.

Now, when you repair it and get back on the dyno...dont go NUTS with the boost :lol:

Lucky break that, glad there wasnt more serious engine damage. I wonder if that was engineered into the rockers to be the weakest point so they go before anything else.

Now get a dci 6spd box in there and a specv hsld ;)

There are so many things I need to consider...

I need to repair the camshaft lobes, which should be easy enough and replace the two rocker arms. This shouldn't really take more than a few hours as the rocker cover is already off and I'm sure I will be able to pick up a few rocker arms for only a few quid.

The main concern is the gearbox...

I've killed 3 now and the last one was as strong as it was ever going to be, be it with cyro' treated and shot peened gears and heavy duty oil.

I got away with running it at 22 psi, but how long would it have lasted, that is the question?

Going with the DCi gearbox isn't really an issue, except there are so many things to do, and it isn't exactly cheap.

I don't know whether to fit another P11-144 gearbox and just keep it at 22 psi or do the DCi 6 speed conversion.

Gonna have a think about it, but I am truely gutted and am feeling quite down about the situation.

All I wanted to do was have a bit of fun in it this summer, but that has all been put on hold again!

I remember your list of what you had to do for the DCi box. Quite extensive. But you've but so much into the engine (time/effort/money) that it seems a shame that it's being held back by the transmission. Something obviously needs sorting and the SR20 box isnt the answer it seems :/

Chin up though mate you'll get it there in the end. Did you cost up the DCi box conversion? Also is it the DCi box only that is the strongest, or is it that whole 6 speed cable operated range? The B15 QR25DE SpecV has a similar box as does the Maxima's VQ35 or QR30. They all should take the RS6F51H HLSD too. In fact, they come with it already.

This link might be useful - http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/578877-6th-gen-transmission.html

I would say now you know the limit, just reign it in or find out how the US boys are doing it....

Back
Top Bottom