updates on the n14 vvl/ nos/ lsd project

I can't believe you are giving up on an N/A VE without even swapping cams out for N1s or at least 16VE cams! There will be a huge difference between 20ve's and either of these cams.

Okay have had some time to think.

Going for a few more runs this Summer at the Pod/ Shakeys with different set up's.
I just know if I have slicks, I'll be in the 13's by now.
It just spins too much, each time I launch hard.

Anyway 13's or not the plan...

Next year it's coming off road for a 250bhp+ N/A conversion.

Going to start collecting some parts.
If there is anything you think i'am missing on the list please advise.

I still want this to be a road legal car though. Just pure savage N/A power.

SR16VE N1 Cams
Dual Spring/ Titanium Retainer Kit? - 8,500 rpm?
Valve Spings- Dual (Honda H22, Nissan SR20VE)? 9,000+ rpm?
VVL Metal Head Gasket
Valve Cover Gasket Set
CP Forged Piston? What comp do i need to make?

Latest picture

IMAG3681.jpg

Get some N1 cams now and ffs a proper exhaust..

You just dont understand the difference the combination of these two parts will make...

Dude I bet you will be more than happy with the car with just the N1s and a 3'' exhaust and not touching the engine. Try them first and then decide if you want to want to put down the expenditure on an NA 'build'....If you have to get a mechanic to build the engine for you like he did sort all your wiring out then it's going to be even more cost!

If you need some convincing on the difference of the cams, I noticed a big difference between S3s and S4s, when there is only a 6' difference in duration on both and 0.5mm lift difference. You would see over a 20' increase in duration and it would be much stronger in VVL.

i'll say the same as everyone else just to try and make it clear :p

n1 cams, shit hot header, 3" exhaust - totally different animal.

Yes the high comp bottom end would be nice, so would springs and rets etc - but it'll cost a shit load to have someone build all that stuff properly for you and proportionally won't make anything like the difference that the cams and proper exhaust will.

and that JMR header is fucking epic, and dirt cheap too.

I paid about 600+ to bring that in from america. Then it went to sam who has done some awesome work to make it a perfect fit. Now there's the opportunity to buy it cheaper and all ready to go straight on....I only wish I was in a position to need/want it again!

Car's in america with a 20ve, n1 cams, 3" exhaust and the JMR header have run low 13s all day long. 1 or 2 have even ran high 12s with a built bottom end!

BUY IT! ;)

Repeating what's being said above really but its madness to got to the expense of building a high cr engine without trying n1 cams and a good header and exhaust first. You shouldn't need uprated springs and retainers for n1's @8500 either I think.

Even on my wee 1.6 a big exhaust and header made a big difference in power. If I wasn't buying bc's id be after sending Sam money for that header!

you can easily take n1 cams to 9k rpm on standard springs imo too. I did it all the time on my n14 ve engine, as long as you're not planning on sitting at 9k for an extended period of time it's fine. Oh and don't miss a gear too hard at those kind of revs :p

As for the header and exhuast, i cannot explain to you quite how much difference it made on my engine going from the powerland 4-1, back to a hotshot. Even with the n1 cams and 3" exhaust still there, simply changing the header back to an average hotshot TOTALLY suffocated it and ruined it. Was like a different car, sooo strangled in the top end. And the JMR would be better than a Powerland imo.

Another way to look at it is the power figures most others ve engines got on surrey RR before i took mine. All of the ones with similar spec to you - 20ve or 16ve cams etc made about 180bhp on that dyno. I think one may have made about 190bhp ish. .... Mine with the n1 cams, proper header and exhaust made 210. 20-30hp on the same dyno is not to be sniffed at, even if my high compression helped a tad too.

Plus that was with what i look back on as a pretty average tune by Jez tbh, not the all singing and dancing standalone you have which should help even more.

if you have read that thread you cant do any more research.

Im selling because I have the option of something different right now.

This header alone with N1 cams would transform your car.

The choke is 2.25" exiting to 2.5" you can have a 3" exhaust made for this it would be fine.

andy I had a play with a courtenay stage 3 corsa VXR (240hp) in my VE almera and it was pretty much bang even so the one you played with must have been pretty tweaked, can easily get 300hp out of them

Back
Top Bottom