Who's feeling the effect of the higher petrol prices?

i got a 1.4 mera and with no job i cant even offord to run it anymore as a 10er is just pointless nowadays.
driving is turning more and more like an occational luxuary

madness¬!!!!!!!!

Did a little experiment last week - drove up North to me Ma's starting with a full tank and averaging 70-80mph as I had an appointment in Dewsbury on the way up. Filled up after that, which showed I covered 244 miles for £37 (116.9 per litre).

For return journey from Greater Geordieland I decided to drive whole way at 60mph, which despite it being one of the most tedious and embarrassing things I've ever done, I managed to stick with, apart from a lengthy spell of 2nd and 3rd gear driving on M1 average speed bit near Luton. Filled up afterwards on 119.9 - I'd covered 325 miles for £35. So I reckon that works out at about 30% more economical, which seems to back up the claims.

And I covered 160 miles at 60mph before reaching the second mark on the fuel gauge - is normally 120ish at 70-80mph.

So the moral of the story is drive slow - if you can bear it. I know I can't - but at least I can claim for that trip on expenses... :D

Anyway, let the price war begin! :rolleyes:

£37 @ 116.9 is 6.96 gallons so 244 miles is 35mpg
£35 @ 119.9 is 6.42 gallons so 325 miles is 50.6mpg which is a 44% improvement.

I do about 50-55mph on the M1 on my way home from work lately to try and stretch the diesel a bit further. I drive to work slower too but don't always set off early enough to drive that slow and still get there on time.

50.6 mpg from a Xantia? Is that an HDI, or the old school 1.9 TD? Either way, that's one hell of a good average! :) 119.9 is pretty cheap for diesel too, it's upto like 129 here now...

I noticed today, petrol here has come down to approx 113.9!

It got to about 118 but somehow its gone the other way.

Still an insane figure, kinda makes me glad my car is out of action at the mo

see in fife supermarkets have to conform to a planning regulation which states if they want a petrol station they cannot detract from the local stations by offering a cheaper rate. so you will most likely find here that every big company petrol station has the same price.

Does that mean that for you, nowhere will be getting cheaper, or everywhere will drop their prices?

Also, this is quite obviously a big stunt to get people to buy petrol. It won't last long so the prices will shoot up again before too long.

Driving at 60 as opposed to 80 makes a massive difference to consumption. It just requires a huge amount of patience, and I've never really been able to achieve it for a full tank except when driving in a foreign country where speed cameras aren't easily visible and police hide in bushes with speedtraps and suburus :))
I tried this the other week, it was the most boring week of driving i've ever done, but it got me 32mpg.

As a test, I spent the entire next tank booting it at every possible opportunity. I got 31.1mpg.

I realised there's something wrong with my car, but until I can afford to find out what it is, i'd rather boot it everywhere and sacrifice a paltry 0.9mpg!

I also filled up at Morrissons yesterday for 114.9, it's still not cheap, but i'd rather pay that than 119.9 :)

Does that mean that for you, nowhere will be getting cheaper, or everywhere will drop their prices?

it means if one petrol station drops there price within a set radius of asda or tesco they drop there price to match it.

except shell... thats consistently dearer than everywhere else

it means if one petrol station drops there price within a set radius of asda or tesco they drop there price to match it.

except shell... thats consistently dearer than everywhere else

That sounds alright. Where I live I constantly see petrol 4/5p more expensive at petrol stations less than a mile apart.

50.6 mpg from a Xantia? Is that an HDI, or the old school 1.9 TD? Either way, that's one hell of a good average! :) 119.9 is pretty cheap for diesel too, it's upto like 129 here now...
Read the post above mine. That's the mpg for the figures he gave which is a GTi I assume from the avatar.

I get between 36-44 in my Xantia depending on how I drive it. I got 140 miles from £20 but this morning I set off very late and had to go a bit quick to get to work on time. It's a 1.9TD not the 2.0HDi.

Diesel was £1.269 at Morrisons near work when I put some in earlier. It's still £1.319 at the local Tesco.

Back
Top Bottom