Change of direction Daily to Track toy

Minor update as more sound-x gets fitted to the passenger door and I'm improving on my installation technique and each panel gets tidier and most importantly I'm not needing to add additonal layers (patchwork quilt like) due to not fitting the correct sized pieces.

A few images of the work unfolding:
Drivers door with a few more bits requiring coverage
3725c83e.jpg

9ae7b115.jpg

23f3d3c7.jpg

267d3589.jpg

Passenger door ready for install
fda2c046.jpg

Sent from my  iPad® using Tapatalk

You're putting some on the door panel itself as well? That's the thing that rattles most and lets most of the sound in.

-phone-

I've put it on inner & outer panel need someone with smaller hands to do some bits as its far from perfect or finished right now.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

I've put it on inner & outer panel need someone with smaller hands to do some bits as its far from perfect or finished right now.

Well... You've got a gf right?? :-D

-phone-

Time to get this thread back upto date:
Ok so July was meant to be crunch month for getting the N16 finished and making a start on GTT. Well that hasn't exactly gone to plan but finally we have got back on track and the engine swap and roof chop are well underway.

As I have never undertaken such extensive work before on my own I guess that was part of the reason for the delay as I had built it up into being such a major job and kept putting it off while doing other less important jobs.

So last week I managed to get some time off work and decided it was make or break time so with the help of the P11 engine how to written by Ant-Dat and one written by Phil (HappyHarrySco) I took to getting the engine out of my N16 so we could start to prep the engine bay ready for the new lump. As I went along the more I took out the less daunting the whole process became.

Here are some of the images taken of what is out so far all that is left to do is remove the exhaust and manifold and the fuel lines and then drop the subframe and lift the shell up and away from the lump.

7c145e2a.jpg

8b2ca85f.jpg

b5beab69.jpg

edea52e6.jpg

cb8c7b9e.jpg

While the coolant dried on the floor I decided to remove all of the interior ready for the roof to be cut off as we didn't want any burn marks to the interior when the welding begins. This gave me the ideal chance to check out the condition of the floor and address the few areas of surface rust that were present. I also decided to install some sound deadening to the panels on the floor and the cavities filled with stone guarding to retard any future tin rot.

b6c26242.jpg

bdcf7949.jpg

81736184.jpg

ed489ca1.jpg

53e811b6.jpg

That's all for now as the dirtier I got the less inclined I was to keep taking pictures, this process was followed on the donor car and the search for an air con condenser as the one on the donor car was shot to pieces. All in all the pace has picked up and hopefully the old girl will get back on the road within the next week or so.

Ok a few more pictures taken today with the subframe & engines lowered ready to be dragged from the chassis ready for some tidying up & installation over the coming weekend. Finally we are a step closer to completion...

Before
fc696646.jpg

New Lidl toolkit ready to help me get this apart
07a127f9.jpg

c3a53efb.jpg

Cat & manifold off
81550c4f.jpg

Lump down
c32e3243.jpg

92c1b847.jpg

be2c645f.jpg

Well thanks going out to DYP (Steve) for helping out this week after work with getting the N16 stripped down and ready for scrapping. The timescale was short and everything useable needed to be off and we managed it with the help of a few others. The sunroof and motor was removed along with the doors and tailgate, we also found an ingenius was to empty the fuel out of the tank using the washer fluid pump and a little Mcguyver impression by Steve. All went well apart from me getting covered in fuel again what is it with me getting sprayed with petrol???

1ff9f80f.jpg

4220ef60.jpg

686cb0fb.jpg

Looking sorry for itself rear windows all smashed
03c796e8.jpg

a187e08d.jpg

0c100d55.jpg

51cbf19d.jpg

Today was roof off day and time to get the rear beam off and the exhaust
45a93fc4.jpg

A convertable now that would be a good idea
92d64dca.jpg

Roof off and ready for some fettling
92d64dca.jpg

With some help from a forklift we left the car on the drums and took off the remaining useable parts
21bec90a.jpg

ba5d40f6.jpg

Ghetto scrappage FTW
737d93d9.jpg

Also check the impending schoolboy error didn't my mate forget to remove the gear linkages so I'm on the hunt for some or engine/box no quite work!

Right after a tough decision I scrapped plans to try and get both cars sorted in time for Peterborough & JAE and concentrated on getting work finished on GTT. However the weather and other factors have allowed for a few more things to get sorted on the N16.

With engine out it was time to address a lil bit of rust in the engine bay so out came angle grinder and twisted wire wheel
058482bd.jpg

33cdb5fa.jpg

Bit more to do here
6da64d3f.jpg

53e93276.jpg

The fiddly bits
97f9e003.jpg

05ac2417.jpg

Then onto the brakes I bought last year from Edk a bit of TLC was needed & wire brush
0bab00b7.jpg

7aec4f8f.jpg

e51402e6.jpg

ca714e1e.jpg

Almost done
2d0fc2df.jpg

671fcb67.jpg

194cf708.jpg

Ready for some paint
b06bd99b.jpg

d8b1446c.jpg

As rain stopped play on GTT we started putting the lump back in after the bay had been sealed & stoneguarded
acfa5b09.jpg

22d87c30.jpg

Suspension on way out
fcd5e930.jpg

b2d4e655.jpg

89ff9543.jpg

Bit more work needed to clean up this corner before coilovers go on
e11e832f.jpg

23dd3c4d.jpg

I may get a few more bits done while waiting to sort GTT but most will get done after JAE including dropping the subframe and painting the lump as the Jenolite on the surface rust didn't quite go to plan and left the lump looking dirty and with white bits.
smiley6.gif" align="middle

Thanks for looking this thread is now back upto date with hopefully more to come soon...

Why did you remove the subframe? How are you planning on dping the roof? Chopping the non-roof one off in the same way and swapping?

I have a set of qg18 selectors. £25 delivered.

Why did you remove the subframe? How are you planning on dping the roof? Chopping the non-roof one off in the same way and swapping?

I have a set of qg18 selectors. £25 delivered.
The plan for the roof is to cut along the seam where welded then do likewise with sunroof & weld back thus keeping strength in roof. I may well take you up on the selectors we are just checking these ones are not lying around the yard somewhere. Could you bring to JAE and we can discuss price via pm?

Also tempted by something else you have for sale if at right price but I'll discuss via pm.

Christ you have been busy!
Just a bit just not got as much done as planned but still a bit more to be done to finish the old girl off.

Why not just buy a car with a sunroof?

But then why have one at all? All they do is cause rust...

-Phone-

Why not just buy a car with a sunroof?

But then why have one at all? All they do is cause rust...

-Phone-

I like sunroofs and well why do any of us modify a car because we can and want to.

Nice work bud, told you it wasn't a difficult job eh :)

....phone....

I had help thankfully but it's gotta come out as my pal who started to put it back in did so before the block had been painted or the belts replaced so one step forward two back as they say... ;)

Sent from my  iPad® using Tapatalk HD

Holy being back thread from the dead Batman...
Well it's been almost a year since the last update and well the car still isn't finished but we have had some progress. Engine is now painted as is the bay. The engine is back where it should be and wiring it up is all that needs doing till she can be fired up again.

Roof is being fitted over the weekend. Along with the coilovers once done I can get putting the interior back together & hopefully have the car back on the road.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom