Craigs New Datsun Sunny

stock nissan ones can stretch yeh, there is a value to what they musnt exceed, i checked the VE ones and they were still in tolerance, so were my GTiR ones.

sorry i havent text back babe, my phone is being a massive whitey at the moment

Well my stock nissan head bolts seem to be holding back the 18:1 compression ok :D and that's boosted too!

stock gtir head bolts are doing over 400hp just fine these days, although at around a fiver each they could be classed as consumables!

your not the first person to have issues with arp head bolts though craig, it seems to be a common occurance:censored:. (luckily) youll be able to remove yours without machining.!

So what are we saying about ARP? No good now? Or just not suited to everything? Con rod bolts still safe to use?

well i e-mailed arp friday night and got a reply yesterday.

basically he's saying that using the arp moly lube the correct torque is 75lb/ft?! However he did give a part number that this related to so i need to check it against mine and see if there's any difference.

The instructions in my ARP box, which i still have, specifically say use only arp moly lube and torque in 3 equal stages up to 105lb/ft.

So i'll e-mail him back a picture of the broken stud, the instruction sheet and part no. and see what he says, but my nissan ones are on the way for tuesday so hopefully only *another* minor setback :(

They`ll only break if you over tighten them. Either you did this or the torque wrench is out of sync.

You`ve got NM and lbs ft mixed up.....

75lbs ft is around 105 nm.

75lbs is the correct amount for ARPs

They`ll only break if you over tighten them. Either you did this or the torque wrench is out of sync.

You`ve got NM and lbs ft mixed up.....

lol

not being rude but i didn't get nm and ft/lbs mixed up :clown: :wacko: and the instructions clearly state 105ft/lb - which i did. I'm not stupid. They didn't break the first time i bolted the head down, this is an issue related to it re use maybe. The torque wrench also seems bang on forevery other bolt i've tried it on to check.

EDIT: Ian, i'll check which arps i got sent then, part no. etc, but my instructions whichi still have clearly state 105lbs, and that is what they were torqued to both times i used them.

I've just received a reply from arp asking for a pic of the box and instructions cos he was shocked at the pic of the studs stretch, we'll see

hmmm, the guy from arp is saying same as ian about 75lb/ft - but he's interested by the fact my instructions state 105lb so he's calling me tomorrow afternoon

i wouldnt have bought ARP's for mine if it needed new ones, on the VE or the DET, stock bolts win unless you're into silly powah

i know babe, it's cos i got offered them in a package offer with the CPs and cometic gasket etc, hahahaha that cometic gasket i didn't use either :osama: great package offer after all :lol:

lol

not being rude but i didn't get nm and ft/lbs mixed up :clown: :wacko: and the instructions clearly state 105ft/lb - which i did. I'm not stupid. They didn't break the first time i bolted the head down, this is an issue related to it re use maybe. The torque wrench also seems bang on forevery other bolt i've tried it on to check.

EDIT: Ian, i'll check which arps i got sent then, part no. etc, but my instructions whichi still have clearly state 105lbs, and that is what they were torqued to both times i used them.

I've just received a reply from arp asking for a pic of the box and instructions cos he was shocked at the pic of the studs stretch, we'll see

Its just everything i`d read online stated 75lbs and yiou have described your build as `fisher price`.

again, i don't mean to be rude but i've read up A LOT about everything to do with this and i can assure you the instructions i received state 105lbs. Furthermore the arp e-mails i've received state 105lbs is correct when using a different non arp moly lube. The arp guy seems to think my instructions have confused the non moly lube torque setting with also explaining to only use moly lube. Not really my fault that.

Furthermore, it was a mod, i'm guessing Sam who retitled the engine build thread as 'Fisher Price' for jokes :wacko: :lol:

i love how eddie thanks that post for the fisher price bit, having barely changed his oil himself before :lol:

Here's a pic of the arp instructions i received, just to show the doubters and fisher price jokers i'm not stupid :tt2:

the arp guy i'm in contact with also asked for a pic of the packing info of the box which seems to relate to who and where the studs were packed. so fingers crossed warranty will play out...

P9270076.jpg

Back
Top Bottom