Craigs New Datsun Sunny

nah no wet test, it's gotta be gasket.

was 200 even at first so can't be rings or valves, then a slight hint of mayo and uneven compression?! no brainer surely

i'll be up early to investigate and maybe whip head off in the morning, on phone to cosworth looking for freeby if it's gone so quick.

head faced on tuesday/wednesday - by which time HG and new arps will be here. Might use the arps i prefer the mega high torque figures for holding HGs now lol

Yeah i mean taking the head off will be the way to tell whats gone wrong. I hope for you're sake it's obvious what's gone, should've stuck with the awesome metal ve gasket and ubber high comp :whistling:

Yeah i mean taking the head off will be the way to tell whats gone wrong. I hope for you're sake it's obvious what's gone, should've stuck with the awesome metal ve gasket and ubber high comp :whistling:

me too lol

what can i do before takin head off this time? am i being hastey again, don't think so this time with comp being low etc

hmmm, dunno could do, the outer 2 readings are lower than the inner 2, but i mean mayo is a good sign it's the gasket, did you get any mayo before when you thought it was the gasket?

nah none before lol, but sure looked like it tonight.

first thing in the morning i'm gonna run it up to temp, then do a comp test, then take the cam cover off and look for more mayo.

take it from there if i then whip the head off for another weekly HG service or not /corbs/

Didn't you take the head off before because of water loss? I've just had a read through and it sounds like you've got a water leak problem not a HG problem. I'm not sure you've fixed the original issue. It's just a matter of finding where that waters going. If it's low on comp and you're losing water surely it's a crack?
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an engine expert but if you read the thread back and I'm sure you'll solve it.

Well this sucks.

Its unreasonable to blame the HG, remember you took the head off in the first place because it was bubbling in the expansion tank.

Did you ever find out why?

To me, if its doing that and the head gasket was fine when you took it off, then it sounds like you have a breach somewhere else...perhaps a crack in the coolant galleries somewhere in the head.

I think you should send the head away for pressure testing.

EDIT: Spook posted before me and is thinking on the same track.

Because of the problems the last time, did you get the head skimmed again?? very high chance its warped slightly, For a VE those compression readings are all low, fiona's sr20ve shows 220 on 1,2 and 210 on 3,4

i reckon on your setup you should have around 230-240

if you have mayo then its oil and water mixed, and if the head is warped might be slight but enough to leak.

get your head a slight skim again and they try.

and before any comments like the head wont need skimmed, thats pish, a head should ideally have a light skim everytime its split. and please dont compare an SR20 to a lexus engine, as most of lexus drivers are these:

cock3.jpg

a head should ideally have a light skim everytime its split.

... i agree with that statement too, its especially important with a MLS gasket (feel like a broken record here!).

Pressure check first, if that checks out okay then your good to get it skimmed and proceed.

I agree, get the head checked at least you can be sure then, if all's ok then get it faced again and put it back together, obviously you'll be taking the head off to get it checked so you can inspect the gasket when you take it off and see what it's like. But like you say craig, run it up to temp and check the comp again, last thing you need to do is whip the head off if all you've got is a big pocket of air causing the water to drop and cam timing out causing the shit running.

arghhhh

my brains fried :(

i just dont even know what to do next. there's 2 main ddifferences this time. whereas the HG looked fine last time, comp was also steady and no mayo - so in my eyes the crack thing doesn't hold there - probably an air lock or summin

this time it looks like mayo and uneven comp so seens a lot more likely it's actually gone.

why? non faced head? dunno

thing is i need a fucking car, i need it finished. sending it away to be tested is sensible but ust fucks everything up for me.

i really don't know

first things first without being hastey i checked cam timnig, looks off....second opinions...

PA040077.jpg

PA040078.jpg

this is with the g-spec pulley at tdc on it's second marrk which i think is tdc, apparently some g-spec pulleys were made with the first mark as tdc, even at that mark though my lobe/dowel positions weren't a thecorrect 12 and 10o'clock

so both pulleys are at 0?

just go by the point of the screwdriver ignore the pulley for now

looks way out man, there is ALOT of slack in tht chain

no mayo in sight though....

screwdriver seems to correlate more to the first markk, defo a tooth retarded methinks and yeh i can't see mayo anywhere looks cleeeeeeen

Back
Top Bottom