Craigs New Datsun Sunny

Hi mate,

Good to see this all going well.. just wondering, I thought this would be getting more like 220-230 for the mods..?..

Seems low, for the build?..?.. with low torque too?

Mega props though dude?>:)

hhaha, talk about can of worms :P

yeh me too, as did everyone i think. but like 3 ves and a de or 2 that have been on this dyno have all come up lower than expected. i'll go to a different dyno to compare and half expect number s similar to what you're saying.

either way it feels awesome

Hi mate,

Good to see this all going well.. just wondering, I thought this would be getting more like 220-230 for the mods..?..

Seems low, for the build?..?.. with low torque too?

Mega props though dude?>:)

yeh exactly mate. thing is whether it's this dyno readin low or others reading high; yours, steves, rowdys and mine are consistently lower than maybe expected looking at other builds similae. so what. As much of a sex god as wezz is i can't see any way his car could be 30hp more than yours or steves. I'm sure if you stripped yours and went racing you'd be somewhere near his 14seconds maybe, where it matters more.
:2guns:

The dyno being Surrey rolling road?..

Id be sure to visit another for a comparison definatly.

Some dyno's read 10% lower or higher.. so that at 200bhp, makes a hell of difference..

Best thing you can do craig is have your car dyno'ed on the one mine was in Northallerton and then that will show a good comparison!
In all fairness tho figures ain't everthing so start enjoyin it mate your cars mint!

Well done

Second person to map at surrey rolling road and not give me a shout. not impressed. I'm minutes down the road. :(

Ace results tho bud :) congrats!

so i visited jez today for mapping on the now becoming infamous surrey rolling road :lol: and at first i was mildly disheartened but thinking logically and as rowdy commented in stigs thread this dyno definitely seems to read low. with that in mind then i'm quite impressed with the base run netting 195bhp! Then after some good time spent adjusting the fucked up fuelling and retarded timing it ended up like this...

PA220100.jpg

Thats 207fly, or 173whp. It made 210fly but started to det a bit so I think there's a few more horses to be had with a bit more of my special octane booster :tongue: and some cam gear fiddling. And a smoother curve without that ghey plateau if i can fix my mss to work both solenoids and switch the intake cam earlier than the 6400 where they switch now. Also, its revving to 8.5k now and holding power all the way, it's over 200bhp by like 7200 and holds it.

all in all not a bad day, pretty sure it'll pull some epic figures on a different dyno. and more importantly it feels fucking savage!!! :zoidberg: m25 traffic was not what i wanted on the way home.

The guy who runs surrey rollin road said it was the most powerful vvl he'd seen on there from jez or ed at fusion and i think jez was surprised by the noise after the cams switch compared to stigs on monday lol.

Finally got there bitchezzz, and it's fucking awesome :santa:

Well done G, NEVER GIVING UP IS THE WAY TO GO.
The figures are respectable mate, over 200bhp in a N/A capacity is my mark.
Well done.
My goal will be to match the Gti-r standard power of 227 before I add Nitrous.
I know it will be hard but seeing you graft inspires others./vvl/ vvl taking over?

yeh exactly, cheers dan. i'm err, pretty confident in how it feels so fuck the figures but we'll see on another dyno ;)

Second person to map at surrey rolling road and not give me a shout. not impressed. I'm minutes down the road. :(

Ace results tho bud :) congrats!

awww shite sorry edkkkkkk :(

Well done G, NEVER GIVING UP IS THE WAY TO GO.
The figures are respectable mate, over 200bhp in a N/A capacity is my mark.
Well done.
My goal will be to match the Gti-r standard power of 227 before I add Nitrous.
I know it will be hard but seeing you graft inspires others./vvl/ vvl taking over?

cheers mate, as for that stock gti-r figure, we'll see about that when i hit another dyno too hopefully :stuart:

Nice bud...for a VVL...choke!

Why do people guess where to activate the solenoids and not set them properly?

cheers mate, what you mean properly? cos of the plateau in the graph? its cos i couldn't get my fubarred mss to switch cams independantly so i have vtec rather than vvl atm lol. We tried loads of cam switch points and this gave the best graph, hopefully switching the intake cam earlier will smooth out the line.

Finding the ideal points of activation is easy.

Do a run on the dyno. with the solenoids unplugged and take a look at the graph.It will be pretty low on power in comparison but that doesn't matter.

Then run a power feed to the solenoids (to engage them big lobes) from base idle or as low as you can get it without it stalling out and do another run on the dyno. like that.

Then see where the two graphs (one with no solenoid activation and the one with solenoid activation) overlap and that is the ideal point for the solenoid activation.

We did this back in 2003 on my friends old Mk2 Honda CRX with a B20 VTEC. (yes ok, it's a Honda, but the technology works the same way)

Made 227 BHP & 166 lbft (with stock compression and ITR cams) and ran a 13.3 @ 106.9 mph @ Crail.

It was a brilliant car to drive but unfortunately he sold it!

yeh i see what you mean.

tbh jez did loads of runs and upped the cam switch points at intervals from 4800 up, i can't remember what was wrong with it slightly lower but this seemed the best compromise. It's easy to play with though, if i went back to jez again with a change or 2 on the intake side of things, i'd take some vernier calipers, have the cams switching independantly and make him have a proper play. Tightening the lobe seperation angle like all the US ve boys seem to get on well with.

crx sounds mint, all these figures of near 230 are awesome, definitely gonna visit another dyno, dunno whether a dynojet like a lot of the US ve's for comparison or a dynapack for a hub one. oor both lol

EDIT:

Jez has been real helpful e-mailing last night and this morning checking all is ok, and seeming impressed with the car over all other vvls at surrey rolling road. He also commented that his s13 made 483whp on janspeed dynojet, and only 460fly hp on surrey, so theres definitely something in it. Bring on 300whp for me on dynojet :uberlol:

I'm gunna get mine mapped at redline tuning which also has a DD dyno, maybe once mines done we should have a group dynojet session to big ourselves up lol

I'm gunna get mine mapped at redline tuning which also has a DD dyno, maybe once mines done we should have a group dynojet session to big ourselves up lol

haha, aoc willy waving penis extension dyno meet? sounds cool! :tt2:

you might be lucky though, i think the difference between dd and dynojet is dd can be set up more differently. some read higher, some read low as fuck.

meh, engine and butt dyno ftw

lol yeah, the only way to know is an engine dyno, or all be on the same dyno on the same day. Doesnt really bother me that much, as long as the AFR is right and it feels savage to drive thats good enough for me. 1/4 mile times FTW!!

we'll see when this car does 105mph terminal down the strip and if craigy can launch it like man then a low-mid 13 is do able imo, go the small arse

Jez has been in contact with me today via text, i can't fault the guy, I think its just a run of bad luck with the N15, i think i will use another dyno and compare figures, interesting to see. the comparisons.

So is your Datsun running great now Craig??

Back
Top Bottom