Craigs New Datsun Sunny

i'm almost 100% certain this is not pinking. It was mapped and backed off a touch from the limit before det, the second it did begin to det we could hear it so easily and that sound is definitely not present.

and pinking and the ecu backing the timing off would not make it hit a wall like this, i had loads of det before and yeh its not good, but it doesn't just stop the car like this. Also Jez commented in the first mapping session it was midrange det that he was struggling with, probably the top end of the low lobes, motherlobes weren't as much of an issue.

i did clean the maf before but will do and will try another. Cheers for the help boys but like i say i've become used to det since i built this and this doesn't seem like it whatsoever, especially as i have been upping the mix a bit since mappin for that very reason stu. :)

so hang on stu, what exactly ws happenin with the injectors and what was wrong with them? injectors, maf or fuel pump sounds more likely to me, i'll see what jez says too

cheers

Are you still using the octane booster Craig? What did you use for mapping?

What's the duty cycle on the injectors? Should be safe at 85%? Cleaned and flowed?

Steve

yeh still using the xylene, a bit more than i did for mapping.

333cc injectors are good for 225whp ish i think, so even if you thought my car might make 200whp on a different dyno it's well within the injectors, i'll get them cleaned and checked though.

Just had a reply from Jez, he agreed with me it's unlikely to be det and said most high comp or turbo engines he sees make more power while detting, and that you can't feel det just hear it - until something breaks lol.

In fact mine made 210bhp on surrey RR just as the det was starting to creep in, hence it was backed off a touch.

Ah ok. Cool

I really disagree with the det making more power until it dies lol. Maybe in a turbo engine, due to the colder charge? Dunno, but in na, you're advancing combustion

Maybe he means more of the mixture is burnt due to det, but its at the wrong time. Hmm

Can you change the rev limit? I'd keep it at 8k or so till you can get those injectors tested... my2c

Steve

it's not makin more power cos of the det, it's the extra advance makin more power, with det creeping in. It's a fact mine made 210bhp but slight det

rev limit is 8.5k but i'll not cane it til they're cleaned probably

jez thinks it's something electrical

Ah I get you now, what could it be electrical wise that won't affect it lower down the range?

Steve

well exactly, thats why i'm not sure about that. For it to be 8k ish, and more in 3rd and upwards it seems, it makes more sense to me to be fuel pump, injectors or maf goin schitz for some reason to me

Might be worth getting the entire fuelrale/fpr/injector set ultrasonically cleansed? car might be off the road for a week.. but then at least you could eliminate potential stumbling blocks

Having had a quick read of the symptoms. Seems like electrical to me. I would say MAF related.

Possibly air leak issue and any smoke out the back when this happens?

Youve got an uprated Fuel Pump yes?

it has had a bit of black smoke according to when wezz followed behind me, dunno if it does when this happens. yeh i have a walbro 255, was 2nd hand barely used apparently.....

noticed tonight it definitely seems fine in 1st and 2nd gears, it's 3rd it does this?!

hang on, my speedo isn't working atm - what speed would 8k revs in 3rd be??!!!

so errr, investigated it properly on quiet roads just now....in 3rd it happens at 8k, and in 4th it happens at like 6600rpm, i wonder if that is per chance the same speed? say 112mph ish?

i can't remember the factory speed limiter makin it die like that before but you never know, seems a coincidence....

Sounds like your certainly hitting some kind of limiter.
When I got the Red donor car Nissan 1.8 Pulsar Gti it was limited to around 112mph.
Also on some of my old Pulsar Gti-r's hit the limited a few times.
It will be 112 mph on the pulsars, if not delimited.
But is your ecu the one from the Nissan pulsar 1.8 gti or have you changed it? Do you think your hitting 112 in 3 rd gear? Are you running LSD box or non LSD box? I can get the speed gear ratios for you.

However if you are basing it on normal non lsd gearing, maybe from the Rs5f32a box then the Sunny Gti topped outs at around 132 mph.

1st- 38mph - 7800 rpm
2nd- 64 mph - 78000rpm
3rd- 90 mph - 7800 rpm
4th- 120 mph - 7800 rpm
Top/ 5th- 131/132 mph - 6616/ 6666 rpm

However that's based on the longer gear ratios of the sunny UK spec gti.

Your import spec pulsar will have gear ratios similar to the gti-r gearing.
1st- 3.285
2nd- 1.850
3rd- 1.272
4th- 0.954
5th- 0.740
Final- 4.125:1

But if you have the UK spec almera box in and the pulsar ecu it will still be limited to 112mph.
Did you notice on the rollers, has jez checked/ removed the limiter?
All you need to do is look at your rolling road graph and check the speeds and gears that were running.
Usually on limited cars the rolling road operator runs from 4th gear that usually gets the best reading on limited cars.

Nissan Pulsar 1.8 Gti dash below from when I had it in for breaking.
20040_105618769456520_100000251918709_138370_1818917_n.jpg

8k in 3rd won't be 112mph, it'll be around 100mph. Does it do it in 5th? It definately won't be pinking, you need headphones to hear it and if it jumps to it's knock map it's only 2 or 3 degrees less than the normal. That won't cut the engine like this. lol

since when did a UK spec sunny rev to 7800??!!! those speed figures for a UK gti box seem off cos of the revs involved, speeds probablyb right, not the 7800k revs,

Mine's a UK almera GTi non lsd box with an n15 pulsar 1.8 gti ecu. It had the 112mph limiter on before but if you hit it you were crawling tothe limiter and it killed the power a bit.
I thought Jez had removed the limiter but i can't be sure i'lle-mail him.

iirc, the almera gti box topped 3rd gear out at about 90mph at 6750rpm, and 4th was about 115-120, therefore revving to 8k now 3rd at 8k could be near 112 ish, and 4th at 6600 is as well?

Only thing puttin me off this theory is how severely it cuts the power, but if the limiter momentarily cuts power and i'm accelerating quickly to that limiter, just a momentary cut will feel like a brick wall....

Just seems too odd it cuts in 3rd at 8k, 4th and 6600rpm, and not at all in 1st or 2nd

8k in 3rd won't be 112mph, it'll be around 100mph. Does it do it in 5th? It definately won't be pinking, you need headphones to hear it and if it jumps to it's knock map it's only 2 or 3 degrees less than the normal. That won't cut the engine like this. lol

yeh thats the only thing i wouldn't think 8k would be that high a speed, but i can't see what else it is.

i need to nip on the a1 to try it in 5th so i'm not sure atm.

as for pinking it definitely isn't i agree, although i've heard mine without headphones a few times lol, on the rollers the run where it made 210 but knocked, i heard the knock from the other side of the room with the fans and everything on lol

Official Uk spec Nissan Sunny Gti figures Craig.
Although on my uk spec sunny I have the gti uk spec gear ratios inside the pulsar lsd casing.
I did the quater mile in second gear crossing line at around 88mph.

What maf is that you are using, looks smaller than the standard n15 Gti one.
P8210061crop.jpg

Maybe, looking at the position of the fuel pump.
I know on my old Gti-r having fuel surge, played around with the positioning of the pump in tank and sorted the issue.

*sigh*

maybe there's a slight chance i'm wrong but i'm almost certain the UK sunny, having owned 2 revved to about 7k like the almera, not 7800rpm

and you didn't run a 1/4mile at 88mph in 2nd, typo?

and yes it's an n15 maf

Back
Top Bottom