Craigs New Datsun Sunny

nothing exciting yet, but maybe useful to someone so tthought i'd share. started my lsd box swap and poly bushing at weekend, snow,cold and laziness has made for slow progress...along with ham fistedness

box off

PB300077.jpg

poly bushed

PB300079.jpg
PB300080.jpg

now for the useful bit, when i fitted my release bearing to the n14 lsd box the clutch lever seemed very weak in terms of springyness, the bearing would come out when you pulled the lever, but not return along the shaft- despite being well greased.

The spring on my n15 box seemed a lot stronger so i set about swapping them....

First used a punch to hammer the 2 pins out of the fork that holds the bearing...

PC010081.jpg

the shaft will the pull up and release the spring and fork...

PC010082.jpg

n14 spring left, n15 right... you can see how much beefier the n15 one is...

PC010083.jpg

removing the complete assembly also had benefits......greased shaft. HA

PC010084.jpg

then all back together, ready to put the box back on when i can be arsed and have the help of a second person. Tryin to lift the box up and slide it back on has really fucked me off today...

PC010085.jpg

also got some new softer springs for the front on order so will wait and fit those before it all goes back together

good question, i'm not sure it does tbh

that spring thing i swapped maybe lol

other than that probably not, the n14 shafts are shorter due to the narrower track but in terms of the box i don't really know. This one however has just had £250 worth of rebuild bits inside apparently, not sure exactly what - synchros etc? lol

IIRC, it was also rebuilt with the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears from a normal gti box which are longer.

so hopefully i have the shorter 1st and 2nd ratios, but a longer 3rd which with 8.5k or 9krpm will mean 1/4mile line in 3rd i would think

as sam said a while ago, the lsd is a serviceable part, might be new silicon between the diff plates or something ... looks great craig ... STILL havnt had a ride in this :( :(

joyride around morrisons again? haha

Steve

ah i didn't realise the vlsd was serviceable, ooh i hope it has had new silicone inside yeh, yumeee

haha yeh man see if i can cane it past some onlooking coppers again lulz, when you're up this way and the cars all back together definitely dude

good question, i'm not sure it does tbh

that spring thing i swapped maybe lol

other than that probably not, the n14 shafts are shorter due to the narrower track but in terms of the box i don't really know. This one however has just had £250 worth of rebuild bits inside apparently, not sure exactly what - synchros etc? lol

IIRC, it was also rebuilt with the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears from a normal gti box which are longer.

so hopefully i have the shorter 1st and 2nd ratios, but a longer 3rd which with 8.5k or 9krpm will mean 1/4mile line in 3rd i would think

The gears are not interchangable on the 32 series gearboxes.

They are actually part of the main and lay shafts!

Back
Top Bottom