Darrens N16

just thinking how the guys do it from Aus im sure they do not rebuild the box they just use the standard QG18DE box. im guessing the ratio's are different + the may be slightly stronger.

lol Doh!

There is a difference between the QG15 & 18 gearbox. (See my post in the SR20 clutch/flywheel G.B)

well after some research it is pretty pointless doing anything with the QG15DE. the QG18DE gearbox will not fit the QG15DE. this is due to the fact that the input shaft on the QG18DE is slightly bigger then the QG15DE one. the QG15DE shares the same gearbox housing as one of the Micra's im not 100% sure which one but I know it does as I have a micra gearbox ready to go into my car. I can't find a QG15 Gearbox so I had no option.

only real options out there is get a QG18DE or a SR20. so QG15DE turbo is out of the window due to the fact that the gearbox will just say no if I do so.
Darren

What sort of power would you be after? Have you looked into cryo treatment to sort the gearbox out? QG18 would be the easiest way to go though so I say go for that.

well after some research it is pretty pointless doing anything with the QG15DE. the QG18DE gearbox will not fit the QG15DE. this is due to the fact that the input shaft on the QG18DE is slightly bigger then the QG15DE one. the QG15DE shares the same gearbox housing as one of the Micra's im not 100% sure which one but I know it does as I have a micra gearbox ready to go into my car. I can't find a QG15 Gearbox so I had no option.

only real options out there is get a QG18DE or a SR20. so QG15DE turbo is out of the window due to the fact that the gearbox will just say no if I do so.
Darren

if the only difference is the input shaft is bigger than that doesnt even matter. just used a 1.8 clutch.. the input chaft goes into the friction late of the clutch.. just use a 1.8 flywheel and clutch..

Darren

What have we been telling you since day 1 Darren ? Do you listen to anyone ? :roll:

I could use the 1.8 box but that would involve changing a flywheel to a 1.8 and a clutch. and maybe a starter motor. I would not need hubs they are the same. I would love to have a QG15 running like Dales but its hard as there are less aftermarket parts out there for me. it would be cheaper to get a SR20 in there and it should run reliable. I am unsure at the moment. I should be rebuilding the gearbox that has blown. im sure its the input shaft bearing and my mate working at Lexus should not charge me anything to rebuild it so its not going to cost me that much.

I am grateful that it lasted so long as when I did my clutch (3 weeks ago or so) it only had 0.5lts of gearbox oil.

Ok so just to clear things up, you were going to do an SR20 swap then you said a week ago that it won't be possible so you're going to turbo the QG15, now you say that's not possible and you'll be doing an SR20 swap again, but even then you're not sure :lol:. Wow your mind must be a right mess of confusion dude!

What's wrong with changing the flywheel and clutch then so you can use the 1.8 box? Also won't the header for a GA fit a QG? Have you been on QG18DE.net and read through all the things they have done? :)

I am just worried about the gearbox :S. I am very unsure what to do. SR20 or SR20DET or QG15DE+T or a QG18DE then turbo. I defiantly want a turbo but I do not want the thing to blow anything like gearboxes, piston rings, head gasgets and etc etc. I want something reliable with about 200bhp at the engine. I will service it regularly. I service my QG15DE every 6k. reasons that the gearbox's blown was lack of gearbox oil at the time (0.5lt) on a clutch change that is why it was working the ass off the clutch and then the clutch went. I would love a DET lump in the N16 but as a student I don't think its quite possible just yet. yes I did look into the QG15DE and bolting a turbo on but then I need a QG18DE box and i am not sure if they have blown or not. I am worried about the gearbox will take that much. QG15DE with forged pistons would be the best option the QG15DE uses a piston bore of 76mm and a stroke of 88mm according to wiki. I would have to buy another QG15DE and basically rebuild it to fine out.

Engine 300
QG18DE box 300
Flywheel + Clutch 200
Forged pistons 500
Rebuild 200 ???
Injectors 200-300 or S14a or R33 RB25DET ones that I can have for free
Fuel Pump 80
Aftermarket ECU Greddy emanage blue box 300
Mapping 300+
Manifold 300
T25 Turbo 200
FMIC 200
BOV 50
Boost gauge + boost controler 100 if not 200 for a good one
Exhaust make custom pipe from turbo elbow 100

the list just goes on and on. I am not sure what power it would produce. but I spoken to Kristian a while back and he said that about 1500 quid I could have a SR20DE in there. I know its a SR20DE and not a turbo but I know the gearbox can take that power and turbocharging the SR20DE can be done and it can handle what I want it to.

at the end of the day I need to get the funds first and see what I do

You'd be off your head to go through all of the time and expense of trying to turbo a QG15 - it's not an engine that was ever designed to be powerful hence it's in the base models of cars that started at £9995 - end of.

SR20 it.

Ok so just to clear things up, you were going to do an SR20 swap then you said a week ago that it won't be possible so you're going to turbo the QG15, now you say that's not possible and you'll be doing an SR20 swap again, but even then you're not sure :lol:. Wow your mind must be a right mess of confusion dude!

What's wrong with changing the flywheel and clutch then so you can use the 1.8 box? Also won't the header for a GA fit a QG? Have you been on QG18DE.net and read through all the things they have done? :)

:wall:

Second :lol:

But seriously Darren you need to think about what your actual budget is? If you've been realistic then you must have lots to play with if you can throw in £500 brake calipers to the spec list. Paul (Almerasleeper) has shown that the QG18 and it's box can take 200bhp fine, but is obviously waiting to be tested long-term. You've got the cryo treatment I mentioned too which can double the strength of metal components.

Lets be honest the best move would be the SR20 swap. A QG18DE+T would be different and interesting to see but you've got to go more research.

I really feel you should check out qg18de.net mate.

I am trying to understand the reason for your posts when you put up your thoughts and options like this. Is it to ask for opinions? Or is it for real technical advice? Or are you just thinking out loud and ultimatly your descision will be with you?

ed your wasting your breath man...

all his posts that we find useless and quite frankly annoying, are most definately him thinking out loud.

which is fair enough, but he has rather a lot of thoughts.

ed made a fair point daz, you need to lay out your budget and just get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom