Darrens N16

Asiw2.jpg

nice one Darren, I fitted a touchscreen kit to my aspire netbook a while back but it never crossed my mind to use it as a base for a car pc!

-- sent from the dark side of uranus, using my magic stick --

Love it Daz, good work. Looking forward to seeing this finished :).

So what's this about maybe two cars at JAE? You got a sneaky second project?!

nice one Darren, I fitted a touchscreen kit to my aspire netbook a while back but it never crossed my mind to use it as a base for a car pc!

yeah I brought a Acer Aspire One netbook ZG5 and then modified that but then I found out that its a 8.9" screen which is too big for the standard N16 slot so I had to buy another monitor. The Liliput (or how ever you spell them) are quite expensive.

I had a look on ebay for a eeePC and ended up winning the bid shipped to my door for under £40

I had to buy the touch screen kit and upgrade the ram as it was mega slow on 512. but so far so good :-) im going to run ECU talk and some other software on it. im only doing the carputer as I got it cheap. I was saving up for a Blitz R-Vits 2 but even then it would look odd.

ok a small update. Im waiting on
USB Hub
Touch screen kit
car charger

I made a mount last night for the LCD last night and also modified a heatsink to fit on the laptop.
96bb4f5a.jpg

c4a84b72.jpg

900ce01c.jpg

ec3ea142.jpg

once all the other things arrive I can start to fit it. I don't think I can fit it by JAE but it would be good if I can :-)

Daz, i'm sure a smaller heatsink would have done the job :)

Good work though.

I thought that but the heat coming from the cars blowers is a joke. (behind the screen) it's constantly hot ( not sure how hot but hot) I had enough space to put a big heat sink in so I done that. + it was the only one I had found.

I just covered the whole laptop for 7 hours and the operating temp was about 60 while playing music. I Just put the hair dryer on and blown into the box and it shot up to about 75. The laptop turned itself off at 80 or 81. I just hope it does not turn off when u have it in the car. If not I'm going to have to think of another way to cool it (water cooling).

yeah I brought a Acer Aspire One netbook ZG5 and then modified that but then I found out that its a 8.9" screen which is too big for the standard N16 slot so I had to buy another monitor. The Liliput (or how ever you spell them) are quite expensive.

I had a look on ebay for a eeePC and ended up winning the bid shipped to my door for under £40

I had to buy the touch screen kit and upgrade the ram as it was mega slow on 512. but so far so good :-) im going to run ECU talk and some other software on it. im only doing the carputer as I got it cheap. I was saving up for a Blitz R-Vits 2 but even then it would look odd.

£40 delivered is a scoop on the eeepc, is it an sd version? i cant wait to see this finished :shades:

for the cooling just buy a 70 to 80mm pc fan and mount it on the heatsink, it will run off the cars 12V no problems and you can get really quiet ones nowadays :)

£40 delivered is a scoop on the eeepc, is it an sd version? i cant wait to see this finished :shades:

for the cooling just buy a 70 to 80mm pc fan and mount it on the heatsink, it will run off the cars 12V no problems and you can get really quiet ones nowadays :)
well for £40 it had no mouse buttons which never mattered to me and yeah its the SD version. the eeepc is not too good at running a external hard drive (power issues I think) I tried 2 different hard drives and its not too good on it so I ordered a 16GB SDHC card with card reader (I tested my other 16GB SDHC card and it seems to be fine). I will test the carputer out for a few days and if it runs ok and the temps are ok I will leave it if not I will mount a 80mm fan and run it on 12 volt or I will run a 120mm fan and run it on 5 volts. it depends what space I have once its mounted in.

24gb is more then enough I think for music and some software. if worse comes to worse I will upgrade to a 32gb SDHC.

a 120mm fan running at 5 volts is more efficient then a 80mm fan running at 12 volts.

Back
Top Bottom