My N15 5-door GTi Build...

WEDNESDAY
I didn't have time to update this yesterday as I only did half a day, then I went to run some errands in the afternoon and pop to the motor factors also.
Firstly I connected the clutch cable to check everything was ok.. which it was. until I started the car again. There's a creaking coming from the clutch thrust bearing when the clutch is not pressed.. so the gearbox will have to be whipped off next week and that issue rectified. That is minor though.
Started tidying the engine bay up.. first up was the nuisance / Carbon canister lol. Removed from the car completely:
IMG_1772.jpg

Where it was connected to:
IMG_1773.jpg

And Blocked off :) yo! :
IMG_1774.jpg

Sorted out the other breather that comes off the rocker cover with genuine nissan hosing:
IMG_1775.jpg

And blocked off the now unused inlet breather:
IMG_1781.jpg

Next I had to re-route the Throttle cable properley as its a bit too long (I'll get a GTi one asap)
IMG_1780.jpg

Also got the car up to temperature properley and fast idled it for a while to see if I could get the fans to function.. and they did :) Thankfully.. so thats another problem off my mind.
Another thing I'm glad I did was to replace the Battery tray bolts with fresh brand new ones, as the old ones had seen better days.
I also replaced the Gearbox mount plate bolts that go into the chassis leg for all brand new ones.
Joe

nice work mate.

question though: How come wih that inlet breather you can block it off on yours? i though it was for the iacv valve or something like that which helped control idle?

joe im pretty sure one of the pipes youve blocked of is the breather for the fuel tank, might be worth sticling a little filter on it

nice work mate.

question though: How come wih that inlet breather you can block it off on yours? i though it was for the iacv valve or something like that which helped control idle?

Nahh mate it went to the carbon canister which I siscarded as I was missing some connectors and sensors for the SR20 so I couldn't hook it up so I've just blocked it off. It idles great at roughly 850rpm when its up to temp.

joe im pretty sure one of the pipes youve blocked of is the breather for the fuel tank, might be worth sticling a little filter on it

I was thinking that I didn't fancy a pipe from the fuel tank being left open to the atmosphere, just in case.. but good idea.

Joe

THURSDAY
Been doing loads of little jobs today really.. Getting stuff ready for sale, and little jobs on the car too :)
The old girl, ready for stripping:
IMG_1794.jpg

The driveshaft that wouldn't come off :) removed:
IMG_1795.jpg

Gearbox removed, along with the shafts etc for Dale to collect :)
IMG_1798.jpg

And the Mighty old GA16DE :) I'm gonna miss it! Look after it CoV ;)
IMG_1797.jpg

Next up I re-fitted the Bits of the dash I'd removed, apart from the Gear gaitor as I've got my short shifter to fit asap:
IMG_1790.jpg

And some JDM goodies yO!
JDM centre console:
IMG_1789.jpg

JDM Autech Pulsar rear lights:
IMG_1792.jpg

:D
Joe

Where the fuck is everyone getting the JDM center surround? I really want one lol! Joe the car looks tidy as, hats of to you, really hope to see it at the nun meet.

THE CUP HOLDERS ARE WELL AND GOOD UNTIL YOU FIT A SHORT SHIFT

dooh caps

orrr if you have a large mcdonalds drink and a headunit in the bottom with an angled screen

HA i remember using my full maccys drink as a G meter :D:D:D

It does look quite intimidating when coming up behind you on the motorway, sure i got a pic kicking about somewhere.

Anymore done on the GTi :p

Nope no updates from today I'm afraid, as I got hammered last night so I needed a lie in haha, and after I took the old motor to Paul's house I was tired.
Plans for next week are as follows:
1. Remove gearbox and sort out clutch thrust bearing.
2. Fit new CV boots to driveshafts and fit driveshafts to the car.
3. Clean up and fit coilovers (a.k.a coiLOWvers ;))
4. Fit my big brakes.
Hope I get it all done lol!
Joe

MONDAY
Sweeet!
back on it today; started cleaning my coilovers and rebuilding/painting them up ready for fitting :)
IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

Red oxide:
IMG_1805.jpg

Matt black:
IMG_1806.jpg

Done:
IMG_1808.jpg

Reassembled:
IMG_1809.jpg

Also fitted the short shifter (Cheers Ballam ;))
Can't decide which configuration to use:
IMG_1810.jpg

IMG_1812.jpg

What you think?
Joe

to be perfectly honest, neither :( top one looks too high, btm one looks wrong....

whats the time scale on completion you reckon then joe?

I like the first one, nice to have some of your old skool mobility passion honed into your modern mobility passion.

Completion? Well it depends how you mean really.. It will be sitting on its wheels, completely running, and coilovers fitted this week. I may do the brakes this/next week also if all the bits arrive in time to get it back together in one piece for next weekend...
And I should be back on the road myself next month if finances allow.
But as for the car being completed.. Lol thats a very vague term.. I'll always be adding to it.. And I probably won't get the performance plans realised till next winter..
Joe

Back
Top Bottom