My N16 Almera

I think the Phase 1 N16's are 88 BHP and the phase 2's are 98 bhp or something like that.

that car will look really nice if your going to put the Phase 2 head lights on that

StevenC said:
Think the P1 QG15DE is 88bhp which, in the three door, isn't too bad. It is quite heavy though and the standard suspension set up means it handles like a boat. It aint no pocket rocket but it is fairly nippy I suppose.
Fourth gear is a joke and if you come to a 1/100000000000000000000000000000 incline on a motorway, it waves the white flag.
Yup, that's it in a nutshell! Definately a Grampa car when standard.

Good springs and lower profile tyres go a long way to sorting-out the tugboat handling and I'm sure the QG15DE will be pretty responsive to tuning as I understand it was heavily reigned-in to get low emissions, I'm pretty sure the HP could be pushed into three figures with basic tuning mods but the weight and the sleepy fourth gear mean it's always going to suck on the motorway.
On clear country roads you can still floor it and have fun chucking it round corners, though as it's happy enough to stretch to 60+ in 3rd.

My understanding is that it came out the factory tuned-down for economy and emissions and so it should have some capacity to be tuned back up for performance although with the heavy body the N16 is never going to be as nippy as a proper hot-hatch.

Darren198712 said:
I heard its not too good to tune. but who knows they could be wrong SR20 all the way still.
I`ve only heard that there`s not much about tuning-wise for the N16, but, as I don`t have one any more, I`ve not kept up with developments.

Almera Guy said:
I`ve only heard that there`s not much about tuning-wise for the N16, but, as I don`t have one any more, I`ve not kept up with developments.
as far as I know there is still nothing much out for it I think there are Kent Cams out there for it but at the end of the day your going to spend hundreds on trying to tune it when a SR20 is much easier and more reliable. when I drive hard the clutch heats up and starts to slip (its a Valeo clutch by the way) thats why I made a thread up on uprated clutches for the QG15DE. also the gear box is crap many of them have blown up including mine. the car only done 24k and then the gear box blown up. I trust Nissan engines but the QG15DE was not made by Nissan. I rather trust the SR20 then the QG15DE on reliability to be honest

The gearbox oil filler plug is about 1" too low and over time the primary shaft bearing doesn't get enough lube. Can never have enough lube by the way. So yeah, I jacked mine up on one side and overfilled it and my gearbox is still going....ish....

I always thought (presumed) the QG engines were based on the GA engine block, just a revamped version.
1.5 as a stroked version of the 1.4?
1.8 as a bored version of 1.6?

This is why i figured alot of the stuff tuning wise for GA applies/fits to the QG engine, eg lightweight pulleys, manifolds etc

As for tunage and inspiration, check out this forum, there's a few turbo'd QG's about and GA engines with impressive results.
http://forum.pulsar.org.au/showthread.php?t=59301

Apologies for the hijack.
Car looks good though Steven.

the qg15de+t with 146bhp is good but how reliable is it ?
apart from that I rather spend 1500 on a engine transplant and then have a SR20 in it that is highly tuneable

Darren198712 said:
the qg15de+t with 146bhp is good but how reliable is it ?
apart from that I rather spend 1500 on a engine transplant and then have a SR20 in it that is highly tuneable

Its a 1.8 enigne and its 146 KW not bhp, so thats 196bhp.
Any engine is tunable mate, its not all about the sr20, regardless of how good they are. Im also quite sure that cast iron blocks are gonna be stronger than ally ones.

Also take a closer look at the date on the thread, sept 06. Still going strong a year later.

Theres plenty in the USA running well over 250bhp on standard internals and no problems. You just need to know the limits of what it can take, if no one trys it then we dont find out its capabilites and we all end up with sr20 'ed nissans.
Compression ratios, cooling, igntion and fuelling are a key factors to a reliable engine.

Have a lil read and search about mate, the info is all out there. Take a look at this one, 240wheel horse power ;)
http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/project200sx.php

Theres no replacement for displacement, erm...yes there is, its called Boost.

Happy reading.

Out of the two petrol engines in the N16 the 1.8's are by far easier to tune with regards to product availability

I made a thread up age ago about the best bits to do to them - ok granted it's not a Haynes in-depth report but it covers all the basics

Clicky

Ok the majority of the stuff will have to be sourced from the USA if you're seriously considering tuning the QG18DE engine beyond belief, bank balance, sanity, reliability and downright common sense... I sure as hell ain't brave enough financially

Apologies for the thread hi-jack - loving the motor Stevo :D :D

Dale said:
Its a 1.8 enigne and its 146 KW not bhp, so thats 196bhp.
thats true but mines a QG15DE not a QG18DE

the SR20DE flywheel and clutch fits the QG18DE. I have no idea where to find a clutch or flywheel for my car. my clutch overheats and slips when I drive the car hard so if it was turbo'ed the clutch and gearbox will be out in no time. standard gearbox running standard and then the gearbox blown up at 24k. Seriously I rather trust the P11 114 gear box as every one says to get one of them

Soooooooo yesterday being payday - I bought side skirts and the sport spoiler. Should have em on and painted by next week.

I also did the "deglobe" with the clear bulb, which is cool.

My final "to do" right now is to paint my mirror covers, which will be done when I get the skirts and spoiler done.

Coming together nicely. Watch this space for pictures!

p.s. passed it's M.O.T. Today also!

Skirts are here and waiting for the spoiler to come so it can go into the body shop for paint (was due yesterday by UPS...and still nothing but it has a re-schedule date of tomorrow...)

Pics of some stuff.

deglobe1.jpg

The "De-globe". Silver chrome bulbs from e-bay, resulllttt!

tip2.jpg

I got a genuine nissan sport exhaust tip.

painty1.jpg

I painted my wee bits under my lights as they were all faded to hell. Masked off, two coats of primer then three coats of paint. Looks alright I think, better than it did anyway!

painty2.jpg

The mirror covers as they are. two primer coats and 5 coats of paint. Just need a little rub down and a polish and all should be good to then put on the car (will get a pic tomorrow).

Looking good. Are you painting the sideskirts yourself too?

see you've got nothing better to do now stuart than be on here!!!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom