My N16 Almera

Custom fit Cobra Sport fitted by CAS (formally free flow) in Shotts.

Did not remove silencer. Did not want too loud. Replaced from the downpipe so it's cat back + front pipe. Total was £300 fitted. It's got a deep burble, and really compliments the induction kit under acceleration.

The n16 has a lovely recess at the bottom of the bumper that is absolutely perfect for a 4" pipe!

exhausty.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

sounds like its a nice system dude, put a picture up from further away to show what it looks like against the rest of the car!

Looks good mate. How much performance increase do you really get from doing that? Notice anything apart from sound?

It does seem to be a bit more responsive, and 4th is a little more usuable and no I'm not kidding.

I wouldn't say lots of bhp but with the induction kit and exhaust, the engine can breathe easyer so gains are there to be made.

Would be 10x better tho with a header and sports cat...

Well I've got the foglights on thanks to Paul! Still growing on me.

In the meantime, have some pictures I took a week or so ago...

shoot5.jpg

shoot6.jpg

shoot7.jpg

i have had a cat back done on mine from pipecraft verry good nice noise i have 4inch tip and pops quite nicely aswell

OK Time to update! Not had the best of times recently...

1. The attempted coilover fitting of the front meant I didn't really PROPERLY get them set up for camber/tracking as I thought "hey what the hell, the rear issue will be sorted in a week or so"...well 1,000 miles and 6 weeks later.. NOPE! (I'm told should be this week... hmmm) Anyway, so I has a look at the front tyres after a particularly hairy journey back from dundee in the wet and realise HOLY SHIT I have zero tread whatsoever on the outside 1/3 of both my front tyres. The result of about an inch or so of to-in! yeah!!!! So, I have two new tyres on the back and have moved the wheels from the back onto the front (only bought cheapish tires). Moral of story - SET UP SUSPENSION CORRECTLY WHEN FITTING. So with the help of ones father I've got the fronts set up right for the ride height they are currently at. A tiny hint of negative camber and 100% tracking straight and true. This will need to be re-done when It's all adjusted and locked down when the rear mounts finally arrive and I can lower the back.

2. I managed to get a stone stuck between my nearside pads and disk and make a ruddy big score in the disk and embed it in the pad. W00t. Result, new mintex disks and pads on the front and a change of brake fluid and re-bleed of system just for good measure.

3. Some of you may or may not know that I've had a slight "issue" with paint flaking off the bumper and wing where it was painted after my accident last february. Well. I took it back (for the 3rd time) and they were going to be taking it in just to touch up the flaky bits. On coming back from the garage after arranging this, some considerate bitch in a brand new civic decided to slam the anchors on in front of me on a green light at a very busy roundabout. I only just tapped her, but cracked the paint practically the whole way accross the front bumper. Result is that it's now getting a total front end respray ... including the bubbles of rust on the front arches sorted FOC and going in on tuesday :D

4. Was going along up to my new ladies place and the council had nicely decided to put in speed humps, and not paint them yet or put up ANY signs what so ever. Needless to say, I went over it at 25/30mph (was nighttime and didn't see it at all) and practically ripped by exhaust apart. Not good. I've gummed it up where the middle section became dis-attatched and re-clamped it up but I think it's going to need some welding on some of the joins as it's blowing now. This will be done when it's in garage getting paint done!

5. Engine management light decided to come on today. No fucking idea why. It's due a service so will do this once I get it back from numbers 3 and 4 and hope that it goes away. Failing that, will need to get it plugged into a diagnostics machine to tell me wtf is going on. Nothing seems wrong with it at all.

So basically. I'm probably not going to make the meet next weekend as there's only a very slim chance I'll have the car back from paint and sorted. As long as there are no complications, I should be able to make banzai after fitting and adjusting the rear coilovers the day before...assuming the mounts arrive.

You might find that unless you drive it hard everywhere, you will go through tyres ALOT quicker. There's a place near Newcastle that sets up coilovers with quality precision for around £200. I'm taking my car up there soon. Prob recoup that money on tyres in a year.

It's not really that hard to do yourself mate if the coilovers are fully adjustable. Everything other than alignment really can be done purely by feel, eye and trial and error.

Watch those words come back to bite me in the future ;)

They will mate lol. Mine are currently set up by trial and error and feel great but unless they've been done with the precision this company can garuntee then there never going to be perfect. If like me you do so few miles you cna live with the tyre wear then so be it. But you've done more miles in 6 weeks than i do all year.

Don't usually do many miles mate. This last few months I've done astronomical mileage (for me) as a result of a 50mile roundtrip girlfriend. Won't be doing that again in a hurry!!!

I do see what you mean about the precision stuff. I'm sure it probably does make a difference but I'm not sure I'd part with 200big uns for it. If you have coilovers and you want awsome handling, you're going to want a bit of negative camber and that will obviously wear tyres more no matter what way you look at it. Even if you adjust the camber so it's spot on, because your car is closer to the ground, it'll stick to the road better (center of gravity and all that) and your tyre wear WILL be significantly affected especially with a soft compound like toyo's.

So once we've got the coilovers is there a cheaper way to get the tracking and camber aligned to prevent excessive tyre wear? I do about 10,000 a year because of commuting, but havn't the experience to be able to set up the coilovers/wheels myself. Is it possible to keep tyre wear the same as a stock setup but still gain handling improvements from the coilovers?

Back
Top Bottom