My Old GTi (Gizmo)

Well...
Just had the cam cover off, and nothing seemed amiss, the chain was still taught. Seems like its bottom end.

Sooo.....

Got my new engine, gearbox, loom, driveshafts, everything off the venerable scott b last weekend.
And today I removed the engine etc out of the GTi super quick (Well, in between the gaps where I sat and stared into space that is).
It's amazing how little needs to come off. Dash loom (A few plugs and earths), water pipes, fuel lines, PAS pipes, driveshafts out of the hubs, gear linkage off, downpipe off the cat (Left it attached to the manifold), then the 6 engine mount bolts :) Had to get some help to push the car up the hill into the garage though as I am weak.

No pics as I left the camera at home, although did discover that a bolt had smashed a chunk out of the old gearbox, will have a go at fixing it, its still held in though.

With any luck (As if...) next weekend I can get the 'new' engine in simple enough, then blow that up, then I can achieve the 3 engines in 3 months award!

lol, nah 3rd time lucky this mate - same as me *touches wood*

good luck bud, it's all gonna come together and we'll stop breaking things i reckon :D

4th time for me Craig :(

Engine it came with was hydrolock damaged, changed it for the ported/polished low mileage one and it worked, apart from major oil leak from dodgy gasket, so changed it for primera one, overheating and eventual oil fail caused knackered bearings, changed that back to the ported one with new gasket, making a hell of a racket top end, went bang clonk after 3 hours (Mystery problem though), so got a nice standard GTi engine going in now :)

Hydrolock is water damage, the car was essentially a flood write-off when I got it.
Water gets into the combustion chamber, it is thicker than air/fuel mixture and won't compress easily... bye bye engine.

thought as much, wouldn't be surprised if my last one was - the amount of water that went through that thing! :lol: well you'v seen the mayo pics.

it's gonna work this time mate, and you have a mint shell - will be awesome

Got some uni work handed in yesterday, so I headed up to the garage in the early evening to work on the car. Here is a sort of timeline of events, pretty crap pics but they tell the story all right.
To begin with, 3 SR20s on the floor, car in the garage
IMG_3190.jpg

Crane in, car up
IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

Couple of wheels under the ARB to allow the engine room to go in.
IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3196.jpg

With the engine roughly under the car, the car was lifted off the wheels and onto axle stands
IMG_3200.jpg

Craning the engine up and in
IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

Engine in the side mounts first, then cradle bolted in
IMG_3205.jpg

All done
IMG_3207.jpg

Jack used to level out the engine to line up the mounts
IMG_3204.jpg

Getting enough clearance to get the engine in
IMG_3195.jpg

The crane has a RWD orientated base so had to jack the gearbox on top to make it fit
IMG_3201.jpg

I find it easier going in from the top with the engine, as you have an engine crane that is...

But good work (Y)

With an SR20? I saw someone doing it on a K11 once and it looked very messy. Cant really be arsed taking off the underbrace etc either.

Well, put it together last thursday and it wouldnt start. Went home for the easter weekend, came back to find my friends Chris and Dave have fixed it! Just took it around the block and its brilliant! Such a smooth running engine.
Thats what great friends are for :)

They did the 'ghetto' spark and fuel test, replaced a corroded wire on the fuse boxes on the left hand side of the engine bay, new fuel filter, and a lot of cranking over.

I've still got to reassemble the interior, fix the rev counter, and fit the standard cat back and lights.

Back
Top Bottom