N15 GTi Track Car

Honestly quite supprised your still running this car on normal tyres, R888's don't last long as they only come with 5.5mm of tread new where as Yokohama AD08's come with 7.6/8mm of tread new like other road legal tyres. The other factor is 180 treadwear vs 100 treadwear on the R888 tyre.

Whats your current spring setup 8/7 or 8/6?

8/6 iirc

I find my ad08s really good on the street; not sure on the track yet but they are according to the yokohama promotional video, designed to improve times on the track. My r888's seem ok but do go off after a few laps. Have actually heard better longevity can be had from a048's. And dunlop dz03's have some good reviews and are slightly cheaper than a048's

Will personally never bother with R888's or AD048's the price point of the Yoko AD08 is quite good just can't justify the 50% price premium for the other two tyres over the AD08's especially when its

180 treadwear vs 100 (Medium comp) and the 5.5 vs 7.6mm tread and no diserenable difference in performance to jusfy the need also..

After talks with Jerrick ended up going for 8/7 myself which I feel is the limit for road use lol, if you can perahps sell your current coilovers and buy new Meister 10/8 setup

Do you run a front ARB?

''It isn't the compression but the rebound we have to worry about.
With that said, even 10/8 would be fine I say... but you will have to run the damper quite stiff to control the re-coil of the springs.
I would say you end up running around 25 clicks minimum, as anything softer will not give enough rebound force to the springs and the car will bounce like a pogo stick.
Yes, I used T1R myself before and I hated it... feels like you have a delay in the turn in from the side wall compressing... rubbish.
AD08 are good tyres, my friend is a test driver for Yokohama and he was putting very close lab time on the AD08 to the ToyoR888
So that tells you how good the tyres grip.
Like I said, 10/8 would be fine, if you want that I can sort it out for you, no problem at all. :)
Best regards,
Jerrick''

Thanks for the info Eddie. Yes i run a front ARB. I wont be selling the BCs when i can just buy 2 new springs for £60 and swap the old fronts to the rear. If i find a duff damper, which i doubt due to the ultra low mileage, i'll change the matching pair. I tend to run 25 clicks + anyway.

Funny how you see every car at a track day with these AD08 road tyres, that are so good lap after lap on track.

Oh wait, you don't.

tapaT

I never said it was the best track tyre ever ladies, it isn't but its at a good price point doesn't have many of the drawbacks of other semi slicks which seems like some of the criteria Ian has asked about (price/durability)... otherwise Fuck it if its an all out weapon buy proper slicks and be done. But R888/AD048 over AD08's just to be road legal for a bit of extra grip and sustained high heat durability seems pointless considering the previous comments.

You have no first hand experience of any range of tyres on track. Stop giving advice like you do.

-phone-

After much research i've decided on the Kumho KU36 which is marketed as an `extreme street` tyre. I can't find a bad review on them and they appear to fall into a similar bracket to the RSR / ad08. I can get 215/45/16 for around £85 a corner, which i think is excellent. I've always ran KU31s which for the price i always rated.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Kumho/Ecsta XS (KU36)

kumho_xs_lg.jpg

Great price and good hunting. Will be interesting to hear your feedback on them Ian.

-phone-

Id listen to rowdy re: the KU36; I swapped to KU31s years ago after he gave them a good review and they were a really decent tyre for the money and suprisingly good in the wet

The KU36 are really a summer tyre. Not the best in the wet appatently, but who drives like a maniac in the wet anyway?
`Want to go fast at a track? The Ecsta XS is your tire. Just be very cautious if it rains`.

Reactions: edk
Hi Ian

I've just read this thread from start to finish, it's like a novel!

The introduction.

The steady addition of modifications and improvements.

The lows of reading that you'd sold it.

The high of you buying it back.

Now I'm just looking forward to the next chapter?!

It's good to hear about the positive comments about Greg at Protuner as I found him through google when I initially started looking into engine transplants and he recommended the SR20DE (which ultimately brought me to this site) and I think that's who I'll get to fit the engine in the cube.

I'm sure our paths will cross at some point as I live in Walsall and work in Cannock.

I just wanted to ask if all of your mods have been carried out with the engine in situ, as I'd rather just get my engine fitted in my cube in standard form and then go down the tuning route afterwards but if it's easier to do certain mods with the engine out then it's worth knowing.

Cheers
Phil

Cheers for the comments Phil.
I never had a problems with Greg, but you can always read good and bad things about any tuner. He certainly helped in providing me with some good figures.
When I fitted the new pistons/rebuild it was an engine out job: http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/16ve-pistons-fitting-sr20de-rebuild.32609/
You can get good results with just bolt-ons though. Cams, header, filter & a good exhaust can easily net 160-170hp, which is a good start. You can pick up SR20s fairly cheap at the mo. The AOC should sort you out with a good one, and give you some excellent advice on fitting / wiring / tuning etc.

A far as my 'next chapter' goes...... I'm just enjoying it as it is at the moment. The power/handling seem well suited. I can go to most tracks and keep up with all but the most exotic/powerful of machinery. If I had a few K to spend maybe a roll cage, and ITBs for the engine. When the shell eventually rots away and I have more time it would be a full restoration project or drop the SR20 into a kit car......just dreams at the moment though!

No worries. :)

That's good to know as that will be plenty for what the cube will be able to handle and I can always go down the weight-saving route if needed.

I've bought NismoSteve's blue GTi as that was perfect for me - it currently driveable so I can get it home and I know I've got everything I need (apart from custom engine mounts and fabrication) to get it into the cube.

Hope to see you on track one time, are you at japfest2?

Back
Top Bottom