Stani's Almera

my car is emitting alot of smoke/condensation at the moment, Im putting it down to the cold weather though.....

ok checked the oil and there is none, so my take of things is that ive blew the stem seals due to lack of oil in the engine?? god knows how it got so low so fast as it hasnt been showing any signs of burning oil or leaking

trust me ive had alot of previous problems with my micras and i think of an almera as a bigger micra so when i see things like blue smoke pishing out the back i know its not going away till theres no more oil to burn. but i dont get why the oil went away so quick, couldnt see any signs like you would normally see. its only been a month since i last checked the oil and it was fine. im gonna do a compression test and if all seems fine then the head is coming off, renew the stem seals, new headgasket and service it. need to buy a haynes manual unless someone can put all the torque settings up for me?? ;)

this was a completely diff engine though from simmo, was fine when he had it............

if youve run it with no oil in make sure you listen out for that clicking noise which speeds up with your revs, may not happen just yet but the bottom ends could start to go.

whats the mileage on?

more likely tired rings stani imo :) and a pint of oil every month aint too bad eh (especially the way you rag your cars :P)

frank

if youve run it with no oil in make sure you listen out for that clicking noise which speeds up with your revs, may not happen just yet but the bottom ends could start to go.

whats the mileage on?

nah the bottom end shells are fine, as far as i know. no noises coming from there, the mileage is 132,500

more likely tired rings stani imo :) and a pint of oil every month aint too bad eh (especially the way you rag your cars :P)

frank

you think?? i was too busy tonight to find out, as for ragging cars not ths one. maybe once/twice a week which really isnt enough to burn a whole engine full of oil. anyway my plans are to get the head off, replace headgasket and stem seals, all the belts, all the filters, oil and coolant. moving house the first week of next month so i dont know wether to risk taking it apart before lol

can i ask anyone on here who has done what i plan to do how long it took them. and could you let me know if your skilled (sorry but dont really want someone saying it took me a week to do it just because they were useless if you know what i mean) im just looking for a rough time

cheers

Belts were brand new - replaced not so long ago, the same with coolant. I'm really shocked reading this because after the engine swap everything was spot on - it was using a bit of oil but nothing to worry about (.3 litre in 1000 miles) and I was using fully synthetic thin oil. You've done only 2,5 k miles since I sold it to you but if you haven't check the oil level since, it would have used about a dipstick. What oil did u put in?

This engine was using 15w 40 when i had it due to the miles. This stopped any burning of oil. The oil pressure sender had a leak but i think monster fixed that. I sold the engine for £50 so i don't feel responsible but i promise you it was trouble free like most sr20's when i had it in the blue one. I think the engine had done 107k miles but monster will be able to confirm.

honestly i dont mind, a compression test revealed that the rings are fine. all cylinders inbetween 12.5-13 BAR. im away to order all the stuff for this tomorrow and hopefully get it all done within 2-4 weeks.

does anyone think its possibly to do in a day?? say from 8am-8pm? i know i could do this on a micra in that time but the sr20 is a whole new ball game eh?

cheers

ok today ive decided im going to replace the piston rings, main bearings, conrod bearings, thrust washers, polish the crank, hone the cylinders, stem seals, headgasket, oil and fuel filter, oil, coolant and belts.

labour costs for short block rebuild £235.00
total cost approx £567.00

gonna make a start in about 2-3 weeks time and have it all completed 3-4 weeks time :)

i considered another engine but then i dont know if theyre are hidden problems so im not going down that route, im also not the type of person who wants to top up the oil weekly, i see that as a waste of money so the engine build is whats getting done.

Back
Top Bottom