STOLEN 99' Spec Almera GTi

DSCF0065.jpg

What is that bar running across the middle, just back from the center silencer? I've not seen that before.

yeah the mandrel bends are normally brought in, dont think that bit of metal really has a purpose, maybe catch the exhaust if it decides to fall off, wouldnt of thought it would be too good as a brace.........

Looks like good work!

Chances are the straight section has been sitting about longer than the bends. 2.25/2.5 is prolly what I'm gonna go for. I reckon 3" wouldn't create enough backpressure coming off a n/a sr20.

3" does sound too big for NA.
My guess is £250-270 for it as that's what I was quoted for a cat-back by MIJ a little while ago.

if you got a 2.25 catback for £250 then you are doing well.

Good job up here is usually 350-400. Mates rates got me £260 on the N16 tho :D

back pressure is a load of crap.. you dont want any back pressure in an exhaust if anything you want to create a vacume.. your trying to pull the gasses out of the cylinder any pressure in the exhaust will try to get back into the cylinder.. the trick with exhausts is using the pulses the engine generate to try and help the other cylinders..

but anyway 3" for the SR series is perfect, but mandrel bends are a no no so a 2/5 inch mandrel would probably out perform a crush bent 3"

you need back pressure in an n/a exhaust system raceworx. the longer the exhaust the more it can be manipulated to the engines advantage. mugen did a twin loop stainless steel back box a while back that create more power over the oe unit due to lengh. thinking about it, it must have been cira 50' longer wow

i bet when you had your custom side exit ehaust with no silencers, it was a flat as anything? imo 3' is for monster turbo boys only.

the centre section was £180 fella.

2' crush bent centre section would be £100
2.25' c.b £120
2.25' with centre silencer £150
2.25' mandrel centre section with silencer £180

£140 for stainless steel back box, so £320 for my cat back setup.

there Cov
david

Haha I paid two broken SR20s (Which cost me nothing) for my 2.25" stainless cat back :)

Looks awesome David, and definitely up to the standard of the rest of the car.

back pressure is a load of crap.. you dont want any back pressure in an exhaust if anything you want to create a vacume.. your trying to pull the gasses out of the cylinder any pressure in the exhaust will try to get back into the cylinder.. the trick with exhausts is using the pulses the engine generate to try and help the other cylinders..

but anyway 3" for the SR series is perfect, but mandrel bends are a no no so a 2/5 inch mandrel would probably out perform a crush bent 3"

In a turbo'd car, I'd agree with you. But the same is not true for N/A and supercharged engines, which rely more on pulses & a certain amount of back-pressure to work properly. 3" + is fine for turbo toys with big engines, but too much for an average sized N/A - hence people on here going for 2.25"-2.5" which is ideal. :)

you need back pressure in an n/a exhaust system raceworx. the longer the exhaust the more it can be manipulated to the engines advantage. mugen did a twin loop stainless steel back box a while back that create more power over the oe unit due to lengh. thinking about it, it must have been cira 50' longer wow

i bet when you had your custom side exit ehaust with no silencers, it was a flat as anything? imo 3' is for monster turbo boys only.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/sue462/backpressuretorquemyth.htm

Back pressure is just a bad side effect of trying to maintain good exhaust gas velocity.

Nice system David, although MIJ arent in my good books anymore tbh.
Im taking a trip back to MIJ, since they decided it was a good idea to use mild steel flanges on my stainless system:mad:

Not rotten, but the flange for the rear section over the axle is rusting, i paid for a stainless system, and i didnt get one.

Back
Top Bottom