Texas Pete ('99 GTi)

^ huh........................... whats modding cars got to do with birds lol

Cor someone must have just got out of bed- it was ment to be a joke!

Tommo- its not disrespect to me at all mate. Thats the great thing about the car, its got potential for either. With a few bits touching in here and there it makes a great show car but also with the engine mods it has it can be used as a performance car. Dont blame you if you wana go down the performance route as it is bloody quick compared to other Almera's i have owned or driven.

Ever since i had the car it's really not liked driving slowly at all. First and second gear forget it! Its really anoying when your stuck behind someone slow cos your trying to hold an even throttle at mid range revs at around 30mph and it just doesnt want to know, it bucks and hops all over the place!

More comfortable, quieter and nicer to drive - yes.
Better handling on the bends - no.

With more flex in the tyre, unless you get tyres with properly re-inforced sidewalls (race tyres) then they'll be hopeless in the bends when compared to big wheels + low profile tyres.

lol, if you know so much why do you have a N16, get back on the race track lewis hamilton, on no wait, he doesnt have elastic bands for tyres either. Or drive on potholed roads.

^ that just over 36mpg i hate my car. or or i need more mods lol 80miles to ten litres wow - i still don't believe mind.

If you never look at how many miles the trip is on when you fill up, you'll never be so paranoid on how much fuel your using. Stop worrying and use it while you can.

well on the race car we have whats called cross-ply tyres on our cars but more modern formula of race cars tend to run Radial tryres. The cross-plys we run do not have as much grip as Radial tryes. Cross-plys have a bigger side wall and so do not give as much grip because the tyre flex's during cornering. The radial tyres do give more grip but the cars tend to have to run alot of possitive camber to make them work and are more sensitive to setup. Its also harder to get heat into the radial tyres.

Where or if that fits into what you are talking about i dont no but maybe it might help with the discussion you are having

NaylorGTS im sorry but you can not compare F1 tyres to road tyres - no way, no how.

all things being equal less side wall = less movement/flex meaning more of the tyre stays in contact with the road = more grip. plus a 205 tyre has more surface contact with the road than a 195 tyre anyways. the issue with most 17's compared to 15's is weight.

tommo sweet car again, damn i can't race you any more huff lol

NaylorGTS im sorry but you can not compare F1 tyres to road tyres - no way, no how.

all things being equal less side wall = less movement/flex meaning more of the tyre stays in contact with the road = more grip. plus a 205 tyre has more surface contact with the road than a 195 tyre anyways. the issue with most 17's compared to 15's is weight.

surely the main thing is the weight and geometry of an F1 car anyway?! an F1 car barely weighs anything and all the weight is kind of on the floor, between the wheels - so the force flexing the tyre wall isn't there. A road car has all the weight (a lot more weight as well) over
the wheels forcing the flexion of tyre walls. Suspension geometry an everything is incomparable.

Don't get me wrong i like tommo's new GTi, but it's a long way from an F1 car - even with that bonnet!! :P

^ there is tones of movement/flex trying to hurt the tyres on an F1 car............. lateral G. even tho the tyre on an F1 car (90's anyways) are something like 225/60 r15 with massive side walls. the side wall with out wheel and pressure is SOLID.

at a go kart circuit when i was a part time mechanic, we had 1000's of old F1 and F3 tyre to make up the track. the tyres we had/have were easy 15+ yr old, which sat out side all there life in the sun, rain and snow. even today the side walls are shockingly stiff. let alone when the were new.

im sorry tom

^ lol. that's what i was trying to get at!! just put it like an idiot - i didn't mean there's no force on the tyre of F1 car!, just v. different and the tyres, like you say, are worlds apart. no point comparing :)

*hi-jack over* :O

hijack away, i dont give a shit lol

the way i see it is that on 17" tires yes there stiffer, but that equals more liable to break tracktion. with a slightly bigger sidewall the tire will flex keeping the tread on the road , with stiff 17" tire when you go past the point of peak traction it will break away, bigger tire will hold on longer, but be slightly wallowy. think its been discussed before that 16" are a good in between size. not as wallowy as 15s but less prone to wash out than 17s. all depends on tire as well thoguh... my 2p.

todays update, alarm is a big pile of wank.kthnxbai.

yep agree mate- dont buy a clifford alarm! Bloody crap. I spose you could say they are good to stop your car getting nicked cos by the time someone has actually broken into your car the alarm has flaterned the battery and they cant fire the car up! Maybe thats the selling point!

tommo sweet car again, damn i can't race you any more huff lol

No, you are missing the point, and the joke. Tommo has hit the nail on the head with

the way i see it is that on 17" tires yes there stiffer, but that equals more liable to break tracktion. with a slightly bigger sidewall the tire will flex keeping the tread on the road , with stiff 17" tire when you go past the point of peak traction it will break away, bigger tire will hold on longer, but be slightly wallowy.

although you are also missing out that when cars lean in bends(which they all do wether coilovers or standard to some degree), a stiff elastic band tyre lifts and now your wider tyre has less contact than the slightly thinner one which 'digs' in.
this agument will go on and on forever across the avages of time, people who have been there and done that then realised their own mistakes but others will play ignorant.

I would have said go for a 16" wheel with 45 tyres to compromise but since tommo didnt have the cash for new wheels, and has a set of GTI wheels then it would be mad to not use them.

once im happy with the way it drives and handles and ive got the niggles sorted ill look at modifying. tires are swings and roundabouts, a good person to ask is rowdy, who pushes a gti more than any of the rest of the club ever has. he can tell you a good wheel tire situation. i reckon so anyway....

and so i digress. NOW im in fuckin trouble with jedi...

gave up on the engine mount again as the bolts are seized solid and i dont have the equipment or space to get a proper lever on it. changed a headlight bulb that blew last night and swapped in my old gti seats, simply because the corbeaus were starting to hurt, they just werent comfortable for me to be completely honest, as some people know im a big bloke and gti seats are more my size. also means i can stop worrying about the screens in the headrests. put the new legal number plates on as well, just needs a clean now but the weather took a turn for the worse so ill do it tomorrow hopefully... best go change my spec on the first page. ill let the pictures tell the story now....

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

no bonnet ftmfw y0

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

ta

tom

Is that a bonnet lip off an R32 GTR? Looks pretty good, just realised youve got rid of that F50 thing as well. Looks alot better!

didnt read the 1.4 thread did you al lol

it was supposed to go on me mates 33 GTR but the bodyshop pulled it off at the last second as they werent happy with the fit. its just the bonnet off the 1.4. also put the wheels on dude....

Oh so you have lol yeah I havent read alot on here lately. I think its the "nismo lip" for the R32 bonnet, that might be why it didnt fit the R33, car looks good though!

hhhmmmm, like bonnet, wheels looked better before though imo. although that's kinda practical reasons s'pose.
16"s would be spot on. :)

have u got bonnet lifters too? i dnt think it looks quite right, imo only ford rs turbos can pull that look off

love in the motor tho, just need a super rare s15 steering wheel now.
d

looking goooood mr tommo!

only thing i can say about the exterior negatively is get some shine on them tyres :)

Back
Top Bottom