Almera TSi

Today was an EPIC FAIL.:( Its worse than you think.

First off, numbers....

It made 165bhp at the fly at 5200rpm and then the rolling road session was abondoned due to boost and fuelling problems. Too much damn boost, and not enough fuel available. It would have made more power than this at higher RPM.

1.4 BAR Boost was the stock wastegate actuator setting, so i couldnt turn the boost down:mad:

Later on, determined not to give up., some road mapping and fuel pressure changes, yeilded slightly better AFRs , 12:1under boost, but leaning out to 13's after 6K. (Obviously those revs were avoided knowing this)

So the new plan was to go home and rebook for another day, once i sorted some even larger injectors and a different wastegate actuator to get a more safe setup.

So just as we arrive back at fusion motorsport, all ready to go home... i notice my temp needle is sitting in the red:eek:

Im sure you can gues the rest of the story..

Dont know the full extent of the damage at the moment, possible head gasket failure under the high boost.

Drove back from surrey without overheating though.. will report back when i know more.

If it is the head gasket, i'll be dropping in a newer low mileage engine next weekend, maybe a 1.6.

absolutely gutted mate, genuinely. after a weeks work too :( however, despite the overheating problem and the fact you might change the engine, at least you have everything fitted and you know it all fits correctly, holds boost etc i know it wont be much help but ive still got the 1.4 on the garden with engine intact if you need any bits, if you need owt pm me your number.

you've got 3 members of the ALC local if you need it x :lol:

gutted for you mate, hope it's sorted as easy as poss :(

also, if head gasket is gone, and you need any help/advice dealing with the upset and trauma - give us a call. I have some experience in post-gasket failure stress :lol:

Sucks when you don't have enough fuel eh...don' I know bud!!!

I would think about changing the actuator though as that's asking for trouble. Best to go for a reasonable amount of pressure and then increase it till the required results are met.

If you need any advice, give me a shout!

And keep your chin up, these things are meant to test us!

Cheers Dave,

Im baffled at the minute...the car is bizzarely acting fine.

I drove it all the way back from Surrey last night (130mile) and it didnt overheat at all, i drove it to work this morning, fine.

I must admit there was a very small leak (the odd drip) from one of bolts on the water pump housing, which i fixed at work today. (surely this couldnt have been the cause?)

Just modified and swapped the actuator for my old one from the old setup which is a 7psi spring and been out for a test drive to try and get it to overheat.

Keeping an eye on the AFR's, i gave it some welly at 7psi and its fuelling slightly better now- 12.5:1 right past 6.5k (still not quite rich enough for my liking).

In any case, 30minutes of hard abuse and the temp gauge hasnt budged.
Anyone got any thoughts???

Ed@fusion did a block test and the blue fluid only changed colour very slightly to dark bluey green (definately more blue than green).
Although I think yellow is the colour to indicate combustion gases in the cooling system?

I dont wanna tear the motor down or pull it out, with being 100% that a problem exists. I will do a compression test shortly to see if that shows anything up.

On a side note to cheer me up a bit - it fucking flies, even at 7psi.:D

could be simply that the radiator couldnt cope with extra temps dale, is it just the stock one?

and now obviously that your running half the boost it wont be as hot

Back
Top Bottom