Almera TSi

I chucked it in the skip along with the old block,:lol: couldnt be doing with swapping the head over.

Old engine out, new engine in.

Just a quick update on the thread.
As you all know, the 1.4 engine started burning oil, so i swapped in a second hand 1.6 engine and then took it to get tuned.
This resulted in this:

163whp
P2250388.jpg

Which also resulted in epic engine FAIL.

Compression
1- 6 bar
2- 13 bar
3- 13bar
4- 6 bar

So heres where we're up to.......

Spent a few hours on the car this afternoon pulling it apart:
DSC00074.jpg

Just need to take the JWT cams out, and the head is ready to be lifted.

Really glad to see this dale

GTi killer!

Can you make an educated guess at the reason for the low compression? more likely to be rings or HG?

Really glad to see this dale

GTi killer!

Can you make an educated guess at the reason for the low compression? more likely to be rings or HG?

I think it has to be the compression rings because of the blowby im getting, my crankcase breather outlets are smoking like a chimney, and so is the dipstick tube.

I'll have the pistons out tommorrow and report back with pics.

i hear about cracked ring lands, im guessing this is the material either side of the ring grooves.

Anyway, if something has broken on the piston i have 8 GA16 pistons available

I think when you turbo a engine you file the ring a little more than stock so the ring can expand w/ higher temperatures in turbo'd engines...at least that's what I heard :P

Heres the graph showing the boost curve with the JWT S1 Turbo cams.

Boost threshold is poor, but power delivery is nice and smooth.
P2270392.jpg

It was making 155ft/lbs peak torque, but making that torque at 6000rpm,
150ft/lbs at 6500rpm
145ft/lbs at 7000rpm

Long live JWT.

i've read about GA16 pistons being crap, in that the top ring is too close to the top of the piston and this leads to cracking.

been doing my research on the american sites lately :)

So took the head off and pulled the pistons today...

Cracked ring lands on pistons 1 and 4.

The positive side of things is that no damage has been caused to the bores, the rod bearings look good as does the crank.

So, i just need a set of pistons, new rings and i might aswell replace the rod bearing shells too.

I'll put tihe pics up shortly.

some good news atleast. So when they crack does this basically bypass the rings by letting th gases get through to the crankcase by going behind the rings?

Heres how she sits at the miunte: Not pretty..
DSC00081.jpg

Piston 1 and 4 cracked ring lands
DSC00077-1.jpg

Piston 1 - broken ring aswell
DSC00078-1.jpg
]

Piston 4
DSC00079.jpg

Back
Top Bottom