Almera TSi

I see the only cure now as being a set of forged pistons and at least a set of ARP bolts for the rods.

I hope the bores are OK!

Glad you took the time to take it apart and assess the damage.

Yeah, it does need forged pistons and consequently alot more money thrown at it.

I still dont know if i want to fix it tbh.

Part of me wants to fix her up, because im not one to quit, but my hearts not really in it anymore.
Even before it broke i had been looking at a few GTi's.
My car is pretty tired and the bodywork is pretty shabby and rusty, its become an endless money pit on something that has no value.

I thought about getting a Ph2 1.6 Almera that was in better condition and then just swapping the bits over.

But even then, i dont think i'll be satisfied...I think its my time to step into a GTi. If i dont do it now, i never will.

well i dont think a set of pistons are that pricey. Arp bolts are 38 quid. New rod bearings are 50 quid at nissan. Custom mls head gasket is 140 dollars then itll be bulletproof and destroying most gti's :D

Im looking at what, around £600 for a set of pistons alone, then about £200 in replacement parts, gaskets, bolts, seals etc.

Phase 2 GTi + high comp N/A SR = you know you wan't to.

I'd be looking into different areas myself, unless you put a grands worth of uprated parts to handle it...it'll happen again. And would it ever last a full day at a track? After mine let go after part 1....I new what the problem was and what would solve it. It's fine now, but has only done 1000 miles since the part 2 mapping/gasket. Does it have a dozen trackdays in it? I hope so, and I'm sure the SR will keep going. But if it happens again, I will be going VE without thinking twice.

Yeah, it does need forged pistons and consequently alot more money thrown at it.

I still dont know if i want to fix it tbh.

Part of me wants to fix her up, because im not one to quit, but my hearts not really in it anymore.
Even before it broke i had been looking at a few GTi's.
Mr car is pretty tired and the bodywork is pretty shabby and rusty, its become an endless money pit on something that has no value.

I thought about getting a Ph2 1.6 Almera that was in better condition and then just swapping the bits over.

But even then, i dont think i'll be satisfied...I think its my time to step into a GTi. If i dont do it now, i never will.

Think you might be right Dale, I know that people say don't give up and all...I don't give up too but I think it takes a lot of effort to say to your self to rather quit and do the smart thing...either way you are the one to choose what to do (even if I am a GA owner and it's everyones wet dream to have a turbo GA I know what I am saying and no I'm not drunk :P). But I don't think it has no value, it has it's nonmaterial value, you could never gain so much experience, and you had fun times with it, I would never say it was a waste of time.

If you will keep it on the low with performance then you will be happy...otherwise you will always loose more and more...I agree it's time to move on...but keep it cool or you will end up the same way again. :cool:

wow didnt think forge pistons were that much. As much as i dont wana say it. I think you might be right dale :(

id look for a good phase 2 SRi then swap your bits over mate.. :D

Definitely! If you go for a GTi you'll end up spending £1k on a car, hundreds on mods and unless you spend thousands on a turbo you'll be spending more on the SR just to get the power that you're so close to now.

Spend the money on the GA, keep pioneering and don't follow the crowd.

Sod the GTi, and sod the VZR...you could have a seriously quick car and all it takes is a little more money and time.

Even as it was at that boost level, it would have muffed most cars on the AOC (if it had stayed in one piece).

Do the pistons, do the ARP bolts and a decent gasket, thermo. wrap the downpipe, swap the alternator and a remap. and it should be good to go!

Oh and another thing.

NA SUCKS!

GO THE TURBO!!!

Thanks for your thoughts, although im still no closer to making a decision.

ARRRGGHGHH:lol:

Is it not something you'd love to see finished? It's unique enough to be something worth seeing through mate :). Live the dream!

and in case that didnt work...

inspirationalquotation.jpg

motivation_quotes_graphics_06.gif

vision.jpg

"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination." - Tommy Lasorda

Just throwing it out there, but GA16s bolt straight up to micra K11 gearboxes.....

whistle nonchalantly.

seriously though, pioneering. its the future. do you think alexander bell gave up when he invented the telephone....

'here mert, watch this'

*ring ring*

'whats that?'

'telecomunication'

'fuck off is it, you daft cunt'

'ok ill use 2 cups and a piece of string like every other fucker'

seriously though, pioneering. its the future. do you think alexander bell gave up when he invented the telephone....

'here mert, watch this'

*ring ring*

'whats that?'

'telecomunication'

'fuck off is it, you daft cunt'

'ok ill use 2 cups and a piece of string like every other fucker'

god that's deep, wow :P :lol: you gotta do it now dale :cool:

tommo, a love god you may be, a philosopher i'm not sure - god didn't give you a body like that for no reason, leave the thinkin to someone else :lol:

but you get the general jist of it :lol: i actually lol'd reading that back!

its hard to change your mind on such an important matter, i know that first hand, but i cant help but think finishing this is the way to go. for dale a stock gti would be dissapointing. which leads to mods. everyone is at the 160+ stage these days, so serious work will be needed to feel a benefit over the tsi. serious work that could lead him back to square one... you also have to consider selling parts, such a diverse set up is not what everyone wants.....

i say stick at it, i would, but its not my wallet taking the hit.

my 2p.

Like Tommo said, if you buy a GTi your gonna have to do serious mods to make anything near what this could make.. This has already made more power than any N/A DE GTi ever apart from Dave Bull's.
If you spend the £600 on pistons, and another few hundred on further strengthening, say push the boat out to £900... This could make 200+ bhp reliably.
Now for instance, buy a GTi route..
Buying the car alone is £1000+ and its only got a lazy 142bhp..
So your looking at starting all over again on a turbo conversion, or VE build, just to get similar power to what you've already made!
As in my opinion, an N/A DE is going to be very expensive to make any more powerful than about 230bhp..
Obviously the club is behind you whatever route you take though.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom