Almera TSi

Just look at it, surely thats motivation enough to finish the job?

ryansfishingpics005.jpg

Don't give up on it Dale.

Whatever your decision, I hope to see you at Cadwell. Pioneering with a GA might get you forum points, but it's all for nothing if it won't last a mapping session.

I hope I'm very wrong here and it ends up a fantastic strong engine that will last for years to come, and you don't end up regretting sinking another bag of sand into it for it to all happen again.

Well i made a few phone calls today, since nobody makes off the shelf forged pistons for the GA.
Each company i called had a minimum order limit for designing and producing a set of custom forged pistons. Its doesnt seem possible for me to buy 4 pistons. Minumum order was 12, and the cost is huge.

Thats pioneering for you. Seems like forged pistons are out of the question.

didnt some greek dude run 280+ bhp in an internally stock ga16?

corbs might know. pictures showed a sunburnt orangey coloured P2 on track.

Yeah there have been quite a few high HP GA's.

He (GA16DNE) also makes a good point about the importance of the 'tune'.
I.E Its not necessarily that the motor is weak, but like any engine it will only take so much abuse/ undue stress.

Excess temps, detonation etc will cause damage, forged or not.

I think perhaps the damage was done with mine during tuning, maybe the first couple of runs when trying to get the fuelling right. I know for a fact the engine ran lean (13's) on some power runs.

There was also a point when boost was adjusted, when we were initially running just 0.5 bar and tuning, i decided i wanted a touch more boost, but my adjustment error ended up with over 1 bar on the next run.. which was more than wanted. So the engine momentarily ran lean once more.

I think its interesting how my GA14DE held together under 1.4 BAR, but the GA16 didnt like 0.8 Bar boost.

I guess i'll give this one last shot, on stock internals. If it breaks again, so be it.

Heres all parts i'll be using for the rebuild:

Head Gasket 1104474Y00
Head bolts 1105653Y00
Piston Rings 1203394M02
Valve Cover Gasket 1327073C10
Valve Cover crankcase gasket 1327151J60
Upper Tensioner 1307053Y13
Front Crank Seal 1351050B10
Valve stem oil seals 1320753Y00
Thermostat 2120077A05
Con rod nuts 1211242L00
Con rod bearings 1211150Y01 x2 (standard grade 1)
1211150Y00 x2 (standard grade 0)

....and GA16DE Pistons and pins from Cov.:)

Pretty much covers it.

Back
Top Bottom