Almera TSi

so are you changing any internals, is the main mods 1.6 head and cams, diff h/gasket and turbo?

Standard internals?

What is that turbo off, looks about the size of the one on my mates corsa 1.7 TD

Internals are going to be staying standard for now. Its not necessary at low boost, the fact is the crank is forged as standard, and the pistons wont melt if the air/fuel is set up properly. My only concern is the con rod bolts are a tad weak. However, I am not expecting any problems at all upto 160bhp..

the 1.6 head will be goin on soon i hope, going to port and polish over the weekend.

The head gasket is going to be replaced for a new standard item.

Lol, the teeny tiny turbo is from a 2001 pug HDI 110bhp model, it a ball bearing type and its apparently good for 170 bhp according to IHI turbo's.

thanks tommo.

Ive stripped the 1.6 head down today and gave it all a good clean and began some porting and polishing on the ports.
ordering some valve stem oil seals tommorrow, hoping to have the head finshed by monday.

Ive decided to fit the 1.6 head on ASAP, while i wait for the ceramic coating (3-4 weeks) for the manifold, just to keep me occupied. Originally planned to put everything on in one go, but it makes sense to put this head on while i wait..

Mint! how far are you going with the head? just a case of removing proud cast marks and a bit of polishing?

Yeah, removing the rough cast marks and reshaping the inside of the ports, then polishing it up. I'll put some pics when its finished mate.
Also modified the underside of the valves so they are slightly thinner and allow more gases to enter/escape.

Have you had a look at this site that KimJ put up? apparently the exhaust side only flows 60% of what the intake side can flow, exhaust side should be closer to 80%, quite restrictive and yourll def wanna free that up for turbo, all about the breathing.

http://www.notnser.com/

Cheers, (i read the 'how to do it NA style article' ages ago posted up by someone on Pulsarforum called Darkelf, probably written by that guy Robert Legere) but im not suprised with those flow rates, the exhaust valves are way smaller than the inlet valves, and the ports are also smaller.

Great project! :)
Cant wait to see more :thumb:

Think its great that you had the manifold made your self! Respect.

Think my project lasted over 6 months, and its still not as I wanted it to be.

Cheers KimJ, hopefully get it finished soon.

Anyway, Just a lil update on progress with the head..taking a bit longer than expected, but i am enjoying it very much.
..still not quite finished the intake side (ive left one port just so i can get some before and after pics). The external size of the Intake ports is now now 42.5mm, and the inside of the ports are quite a bit larger and a heck of a lot smoother. The intake manifold is also being matched to these sizes where it bolts upto the head.

Started the exhaust side now, but this could take a while.
So keen to see the performance results of this head. its no longer any where near standard and looks like it will flow good and proper! Just wish i could get it flow tested.

I will put some progress pics up tommorow as i keep forgeting to take the camera down my mates house where its being done.
cheers

nice one!

i would have thought smoothing the intake ports would be a bad move because i hear a lot that the design of the GA head swirls the intake mix nicely to give an efficient burn, if you smooth it wont this swirling effect from the rough intake aggitating the air be reduced and therefore not burn as efficient?

and by the way, ive been to 3 engine rebuilders today and no one will rebuild a GA16 so far out my list of companys because its a performance engine is what they said he he but dammit!

Your probably right cov, im just thinking along the lines of bigger is better!
The turbulance would give better mixing i suppose, but it just feels right having the ports smooth, as the air will just fly through so smoothly.
Im just going for maximum air flow and air speed. The fact its being boosted should help keep the velocity of the gases quite high.

Just had a look at the intake ports done on notnser.com and the port finish looks very similar so i should be okay.

Performance engine huh? interesting. Wonder why they have said that? Its not considered a performance engine over here, maybe in the US like with the VTC but...hhhmm?
Are you putting a 1.6 in the sunny then?

eventually, looks like giving in doing it myself and getting a garage to do it properly.

yeah GA16 image here is granny super clean emissions i thought.

ive put 15k on the 1.4 since ive had it, at 111k its drinking oil and my expansion tank was empty the other day. after high revving run, i blip the throttle and the cams are really rattly as if they are dry, give it a couple of minutes and they sound fine, so im expected it to throw a rod or something soon as somethings not right oil wise!

Doesnt sound too healthy mate! what oil is in it? Hope it doesnt go bang!

Whats preventing you from doing the rebuild yourself then? Surely it would save you a lot of money?

it would yes but ive never done anything like this before and if the price is right i wanna get either a rebuild or short engine part exchange with a guarantee, parts ive quoted myself are about 250 quid plus tooling

Very well done. I'd love to have a go at port & polishing mine, but knowing me I'd destroy it and end up wasting the £50 head.

I've been talking to the lad who is gonna do mine, and seems like I should see good results. Especially with my Trust metal gasket on.

It will be kind of a shame to turbo yours, after all the headwork and that. It would be nice to see what it makes N/A.

have you measured the ports on the inlet and exhaust manifold to port match them, or are you enlarging them also and matching them to the head once its done mate?

Back
Top Bottom