My Almera 1.4 - total overhaul

Iiiiiiit's update time :D

p1000713.jpg

p1000712t.jpg

p1000715.jpg

p1000717.jpg

I'm so proud of myself :D

Only the block, crank and piston stuff and it's fooking heavy to lift already...wish I had a engine holder :rolleyes:

Tommorow oil/water pump, oil sump, timing chain, cyl head...and it's almost done, wohoo!!!

If anyone is interested...built engine.

p1000738i.jpg

p1000736u.jpg

p1000737u.jpg

Just need to get a inlet gasket.

Some thoughts about this engine build

- The 1. piston rings were more worn that I would expect...0.1mm off the nominal value, now normally I would get new but the only place I could get them was for the whole ring set for 60 euro which is too much, the 2. piston ring and the oil ring were fine and dandy...so I put the old back in, I know it's was stupid of me but cant be bothered with this engine...I'm sorry :D

- The biggest pain in the arse was putting the timing chain back on, now in my manual it says I shoud put the oil pump cover first and then get the cylinder head on...this was bollocks cause I couldn't move the chain anymore and was falling off, then I decided to put the cyl head first so I could put the lower chain on both sporcket wheels, then I put the oil pump cover on and also get the upper chain on the sprocket too cause you can't put it there with the oil pump on...only if you loosen the top sprocket. So putting the timing chain back on was the most difficult job for now.

- Putting the cams on was rather interminate, I thought that the cam sprockets will align it all but there is some extra movement there so was not sure about it. Put the distributor back to it's former place so now I can only wish I didn't change the timing. Will find out after the engine is back on :rolleyes:

Guess thats it, think I didn't stumble upon any other problems so wish me luck.
The engine is going back in in the next month when I'll get a crane.

Oh and one more thing...the lower chain tensioner has a gasket, that old one broke to pieces so now I need a new one...soo where can I get it? anyone who could buy it and send me it in a envelope...I doubt I can get it here cause I can't get the intake and exhaust gaskets here either :mad:...so if someone willing to help me out would appreciate, will pay in advance with a lil more for the trouble :)

Mark

I've been keeping on eye on this thread. I found it very interesting so thanks for sharing :).

Good work dude, I've also found this thread quite intruiging. However, reusing piston rings? Defeats the purpose of the full engine rebuild doesn't it?

Cheers guys.

Yup, but I have already decided to get a 1.6 soo I could call this 1.4 as my test dummy, anyway this is also my first attempt to rebuild a engine...never done this so good learning material. And the ring set was too expencive and I can't put any more money into this since I'm already looking for a nice GA16 to either turbo or decent N/A.

Also this engine would need a overbore cause the piston skirts are worn and you can clearly see scratches. I'll be happy if the engine can make one more year then it's 1.6 time :rolleyes:

You never know what to expect...I thought that a engine rebuild is simple as that...but it isn't, I knew I wont keep this 1.4 and go for more bulletproof power so even this little effort was worth it and I expected to gain skills and a sound running engine for a while:D

Front panel and sills finally done!

Just a matter of weeks and my car is back on the road, still don't know if the engine will start but whatever :D

p1000758.jpg

p1000759n.jpg

p1000760u.jpg

p1000761x.jpg

p1000764h.jpg

p1000763.jpg

I'm so happy today :P...got a night shift today but then 3 days free shifts so will put the primer coat next week and ... base and clear coat then...
Can't wait :D

A wee update...sprayn' my mera at last...sorry bout the pics...only have iphone camera available...

snmek002i.jpg

snmek001m.jpg

snmek003b.jpg

Don't pop ya eyes it aint orange., it's just 2 coats...and there is a neon light in the garage so it looks like orange :P

First time I'm doing a paint job on a car...always did small stuff...did som spills :O...but now I am better at it...even know how to set my gun :D

I don't expect a prefect paint job...but I will be happy with my satin red mera :cool:

Ghetto paintshop FTW! y0!

Cheers...

it looks like I need 3-4 more coats(4th already done today)...what can I say I'm a pussy and spray really thin coats...don't want to risk any spills :cool:

If the car will run okay...why not :P

I will do MOT after(if) I get back, so that should be okay, just hope the engine will run good or I'll have to borrow a 1.4 from a guy I know lol

Put the car out so the paint can dry up properly...then 2 more coats and it should be all good, need to sand down the dust it caught on the paint etc...

snmek007.jpg

snmek008o.jpg

snmek005w.jpg

snmek006.jpg

Yet another AOC first! Flat red almera! :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom