N16 DCi-R

I went through these mounts a few months ago Ed. My YD22 uses the same ones, but my rear mount is more hollowed out than yours. Front is the same as all the petrols. You can turn the front mount around on it's mounting bolts to make it stiffer up/down, then see if you can spot the difference.

I think my axle-tramp issues may be the engine rocking sideways with torque from the rear drive-shaft. I need to jack up the front to check.

enginebraceIMAG0592.jpg

Done some digging on the Sentra forums, and Prothane made some very firm engine mounts for the B15 Sentra for it's QR25 back in 2008! These are the first photos I've seen that show the B15 QR25's engine brace and mounts to be the same as the N16 YD22.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROT...Q5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2960wt_1166

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

I'd only use the rear one, but am worried this one might be too firm. These photos mean I can hunt for QR25 mounts though, and maybe find a softer poly (one that comes in two bits would be good).

ES/Prothane rear mount in black http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=14505

Took the engine out of the old grey car today. My dad on standby to lend a hand (definitely a two man job). No engine crane and damn that thing's heavy, and huge. Dropped it on to a pallet and after cutting away the front cross member slid it out the front of the car (I wish we had removable cross members because god knows how hard it's going to be on a working car).

Learnt a bit more about the car and engine today :). Have to say Nissan have done a great job, it looks proper strong and well put together. The gearbox looked huge compared to the SR's!

and because it's the law to have photos:

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

and for those who are not informed, it's a Jap DCi, before the French got their hands on Nissan! :D
nissanjapanIMAG0596.jpg

I'd love to see that, but then a stripped out N16 is similar weight, and as Phil says, the N16 is 30% stiffer :P Not sure the N15 chassis could cope with the ludicrous torques :lol:

Someone on Trinituner put a YD22 (no turbo) and auto into an older sunny. God knows why but we know it'll fit.

I'd love to see that, but then a stripped out N16 is similar weight, and as Phil says, the N16 is 30% stiffer :P Not sure the N15 chassis could cope with the ludicrous torques :lol:

this im still not sure about tbh but if its true then fair play but would like to see a n16 and n15 kitted out almost the same on handling mods and on a track to get the proof, because as we have said its all well and good a bit of paper saying u have x but the proof in on the track in this case

lol yes indeed. There's a few N15 owners that have either had N16s themselves or been in my car on a 'spirited' run and have said that the N16 handles better. It would make sense if that's true, as the N16 is the progression of the N15, and why would Nissan make the chassis worse? :)

I've worked on both the N15 and N16 a lot and the similarities are uncanny. There's only a few changes here and there, notably the wishbones, that do appear to look a better design (but I have no authority to say).

Either way, both are great chassis, and with the N16 it really deserved an SR, rephrase, it SHOULD have had an SR, but we weren't so lucky in the UK (it got an SR20 in the US 2000-2001). So it's great to see the likes of Darren and Phil sorting that one out :).

this im still not sure about tbh but if its true then fair play but would like to see a n16 and n15 kitted out almost the same on handling mods and on a track to get the proof, because as we have said its all well and good a bit of paper saying u have x but the proof in on the track in this case

I'll dig out the Nissan link later today, as it's them that put out the 30% stiffer number in the n16 over the n15 chassis :) like I've said before though both our cars lift the rear wheels at a similar point when jacking the front, this means similar torsional strength, and as yours is a gti which is lowered on coilies and has a front arb as well as front and rear strut braces and mine is an entry level 1.5e and doesn't have any of the above I think their claims must be true :)

- sent from my android device, no iSheep here -

Back
Top Bottom