N16 SR16VE

Z32
z32calipersDSC02954.jpg

R33 GTS-T
CIMG2266.jpg

R32 GTR
r32gtrcalipers09042008066.jpg

Okaaay :s No foggys then cause never seen those calipers referred to as R33 calipers. Is there a date supplied on them, or maybe another caliper you can find also on the R33? I wondering that Nissan did their usual and used the last of them on early R33s.

what does foggys mean? lol

for starters there is these two, i'll find the ones you have pictured as r33 gts-t with more digging in fast but as you can see the r33 gts/gts-t came with many different front calipers :)

R33GTS-RB25.jpg

R33GTS-RB20.jpg

Yes the GTS (non-Turbo) just came with twin pots or single pots. My twin pots are the same. It's the GTS-T (turbo, obviously :lol:) that had 4 pots but I always thought it was the ones in the picture I posted which use larger 310mm discs (iirc), but the ones you have will use 280mm discs and I thought they were only on the Z32 (with cast iron versions on the S14). But obviously this isnt the case and Nissan fitted them to the R33 at some point.

well more goodies arrived today, just need to spend some time to find somewhere to do the work, instead of spending the an hour in the gym, then spending about 2 hours after alternating between the sauna the plunge pool and the steam room :sweatdrop:

Oh the joys of unemployment...;)

Yes the GTS (non-Turbo) just came with twin pots or single pots. My twin pots are the same. It's the GTS-T (turbo, obviously :lol:) that had 4 pots but I always thought it was the ones in the picture I posted which use larger 310mm discs (iirc), but the ones you have will use 280mm discs and I thought they were only on the Z32 (with cast iron versions on the S14). But obviously this isnt the case and Nissan fitted them to the R33 at some point.

yeah they are deffo r33, and 296mm not 280mm. the bigger 310mm+/- ones your talking about come only on the rb26dett r33 gtr /gtr vspec

R33GTR-VSPEC-RB26DETT.jpg

Seriously confusing me now as if you google r33 gts-t or ebay you get the ones I pictured. in fact ive seen reference on skyline owners club... not saying youre wrong though phil im just saying its confusing :lol:.

I mated a R33 GTST caliper onto a N16 hub before and it needed a 280mm disc. im not sure where the thread is but I got pictures to prove it. im not sure what size disc you will need for that set up

if I remember correctly 280mm discs will work. I found some old pictures of a N16 SR16VE from Greece with these calipers on

lol Darren that same thread has been posted in recently, and by you too! :lol: As found out from pictures you need 184 or 186mm discs to fit correctly. So machined down larger discs and redrilled to 4x114.

The title is probably like that Phil just so they get the catchment of searches because those calipers do fit all those cars.

I've got to admit that even with the FAST evidence I'm still sceptical. It's because the calipers of that design DO use 280mm discs normally, and the 296mm (sorry I got the 310mm wrong early) is normally the calipers I pictured. So to see the 280mm design (looking) ones claiming to be 296mm versions throws up alarm bells.

Yeah Conceptua have been doing them for a while now for the S13 so it's good to know they're there, but as your photos shop the R33 calipers mounted on the N16 means that the discs need to be bigger than 280mm else the pads will be shredded by the edge of the disc.

---------- Post added at 01:54 ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 ----------

Sorry Phil, i'll move all this into the N16 brake upgrade thread on your request :)

I personally think it will be ok using 280mm discs. I found out that the hub I was using had a crap wheel bearing so that made a bit of difference but to be honest 282 or 284mm disc would be better I guess.

The title is probably like that Phil just so they get the catchment of searches because those calipers do fit all those cars.

I've got to admit that even with the FAST evidence I'm still sceptical. It's because the calipers of that design DO use 280mm discs normally, and the 296mm (sorry I got the 310mm wrong early) is normally the calipers I pictured. So to see the 280mm design (looking) ones claiming to be 296mm versions throws up alarm bells.

read the description mate, he also had them on driftworks prior to ebay http://www.driftworks.com/forum/par...line-r33-gtst-front-4-pot-brake-calipers.html

also like i thought it looks like the calipers that are most commonly called gts-t calipers also come with the 310mm discs >>

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/par...ts-t-front-calipers-very-good-pads-discs.html

so these ^^^^ smooth ones must come off gts-t models later in the r33 run (but for the 310mm and 296mm discs are there 2 types of this shape caliper too? or is it just the hub that's different? to allow 310mm with the rb26 and 296mm with the rb25?) as these shaped calipers are also the same on some of the r33 gtr's. where as my calpiers must come off gts-t's earlier in the run than the smooth ones, also look at this here (not the best pic i admit) the smaller ones look identical apart from the size and the shape of the casing between the pistons, the larger ones have a straight line between the two rounds as the pistons are farther apart, compared to the smaller ones which don't have a straight line due to the pistons being closer

r32%20brake%20calipers%204%20piston.JPG

so which is which? z32/r32 280mm the smaller? r33 296mm the larger?

I personally think it will be ok using 280mm discs. I found out that the hub I was using had a crap wheel bearing so that made a bit of difference but to be honest 282 or 284mm disc would be better I guess.

well i'm off outside soon to bolt one up to the front hub and find out exactly what's needed for the N16, but if it's the same as your findings then 284/286mm it will be

I've re-titled and stickied the thread that relates to as I can see the question of brake upgrades on the N16 being asked more and more in future as more people mod the N16 - http://www.almeraownersclub.com/threads/28971-Nissan-4-POT-Calipers-on-an-N16-Brake-Upgrades

i think once we get this sorted out we should copy the pertinant info from this thread to that thread, but leave it for now till we get it worked out properly.

to me it seems as there is lots and lots of confusion about these calipers on the web, fast is nissan's own tool and they should know better than anyone what they put on their cars ;)

Ah nice, that picture proves it's just the design (the look) of the calipers that is the same as the Z32 as I wondered. I would guess that the Z32 caliper is the smaller one. R33 GTS-T as I previously knew them as (the smoother one) are a bigger caliper than the Z32 anyway, so this 'ribbed' version is probably the same size but uses the older Z32 caliper design.

After the second link I assume when you say these you mean the ones in the link? If so then yeah I would say that the ones you have are an early design then they put those smoother ones on after. I think though that R33 GTR calipers were Brembo. Perhaps that can't been seen so clearly in FAST because they would be of a smooth design too? Or does FAST specifically say Sumitomo?

Back
Top Bottom