N16 SR16VE

As standard Paul or did a previous owner upgrade them? Of course some of these things might have been optional extras from factory when new.

lol, but we know they werent standard fit on all GTS-T's... wow this is a minefield!

heh a minefield indeed! just to muddy the waters some more

slide12n.jpg

slide13bl.jpg

slide14tl.jpg

slide15y.jpg

who knows what actually happened regarding the calipers used on each model but nissan, we can safely say though that there are more than 3 types of sumitomo caliper in the z32/r32/r33 range of cars that go from 280mm to 296mm to 310mm diameter and 26mm(???) to 32mm thick.

now moving away from where the calipers come from to where they are going to and i've found something else out today, non abs N16's have different hubs to those with abs, as this is the caliper sitting on the hub with only the 257mm non abs disc :(

R33-Mounted2.jpg

R33-Mounted1.jpg

R33-Mounted.jpg

and as it stands i'd need to use about 269mm discs to sit correctly at the edge of the friction material at the middle of the pad (even then it wont sit correctly at the top or bottom cause the friction material is made for a 296mm diameter circle so anything smaller has a different arc) as there is about 6mm of friction material still showing, which is useless lol, so i need to find me some abs N16 hubs to mount these calipers on to get the bigger discs, it would have had to be done even without the r33 calipers as the 280mm mera calipers wouldn't have worked on this hub either, but at least i've found this out now and not later when i have the car in bits mid swap lol

Wow learn something everyday then! I saw your WAMT post but please disregard my comment cause you said hubs, but just to be technical you actually meant knuckles. The hubs are the rotating parts that go in the knuckle. As I say that's just being pedantic as knuckles are often referred to as hubs but in the context of ABS and non-ABS you could well have been talking about actual 'hubs' :lol:.

This is worrying for Paul (fox1983) and he's got my calipers from my ABS P2 car I'm breaking. His car is a P2 too but non-ABS. With any luck the P2 knuckles are the same, even though I know his non-ABS car still uses the 256mm discs :/

yeah to be pedantic they are spindle knuckles but i call them hubs so meh :lol:

well according to fast the PH2's all use the same hubs, 40014-4M400 which is the same part number as the PH1 abs hubs, looks like only the PH1 had a different hub for the abs/non abs models so paul should be ok, but it should only take ten minutes with a wheel off and a ruler to verify this if he so desires :)

Is it in yet?

nah mate we only pulled the qg about 2 hours ago and once it was out we stopped for the day as not all of the stuff i need for putting the VE in is out at nistro's. work will resume tomorrow and i'll put some more pics up from today when i get home as i'm at my mums just now

good day today but tomorrow will no doubt be more of a pain in the ass lifting the VE in and out to check mounting points and such but we got a head of steam up now so its jsut heads down and get stuck in about it

thanks guys, yeah that's the easy bit out of the way but it feels good to have gotten started, it certainly helped relieve some tension i had lol. i've got to give a big shout to will (nistro) for his help on this as he's making things move quicker than they would if i was on my own, plus he's providing the place for the work to happen! thanks mate!

here's the rest of the pics, there isn't that much as i keep forgetting to down tools and take them but i'll take more on the install side of things

the beginings of the stripdown
2011-03-21160336.jpg

doing our good deed for the day, removing a QG from an N16 :lol:
2011-03-22155901.jpg

2011-03-22155915.jpg

it's out!!
2011-03-22155930.jpg

who needs an SR16 when you can have a WM29 ;)
2011-03-22160341.jpg

all empty!
2011-03-22160359.jpg

tomorrow should be reasonably easy fare, it's only once we have the engine mounted the real headaches will begin, 'the splicing of looms' there's a horror movie in there somewhere lol

Back
Top Bottom