N16 SR16VE

it was indeed mate, i'm a firm believer in karma and i was WAY overdue some good karma back my way and it came :shades:

ok so here's the only pic i took of the engine going in, as the rest was kinda hands on lol

2011-03-26161939.jpg

one thing to note is that when using the p11 gearbox mount you need to modify it slightly, this is due to the mounting bracket on the n16 chassis rail having circular cutouts for the mount to seat into and the p11 mount centre rod has more rectangular ends that are slightly rounded,

and as a pic is worth a thousand words here's one of before
2011-03-26182040.jpg

and one after grinding
2011-03-26182024.jpg

more to come tomorrow :)

ok another very quick update with pics now

2011-03-27170105.jpg

2011-03-27170123.jpg

and here is what we have done with the driver side mount, N15 gearbox bracket cut in half still to be bolted in but we think we are jsut gonna get it welded in for extra strenght
2011-03-27170137.jpg

Heh at least I've saved it from life in an n15, anything is better than that, even an n14 :tt2:

And we'll move on to driveshafts, radiator, powersteering etc next. Then once the mechanical side is complete I'll move on to the dreaded wiring :eek:

- I'M ON MY MOOOBBIILLEEEE!!!!!!!! -

urgh yeh the wiring bit is where i dont envy you mate, fookin hate wiring n all that shiz. yuk

well it's not too bad if you have the right wiring schematics to work from, i just hope that the ve loom is close enough to the gti loom as i don't have a ve service manual to get the wiring schematics from :(

well we've downed tools due to rain stopping play, but to recap where we are

the engine is in on it's 4 mounts, i used a p11 sr20 gearbox mount, a n15 sr20 rear gearbox mounting bracket with an N16 rear mounting rubber, a p11 sr20 front mounting bracket with an N16 front mounting rubber. only one of these three needs modded and that's the p11 gearbox mount that i showed the modification to in post #301. on the drivers side mount i used an n15 sr** mount with an n15 gti gearbox mounting bracket (the one that bolts to the chassis leg not the rear one) that was cut in half so as to fit without fouling the inner wing. i will take a picture of it tomorrow when i finish off shaping and painting it

i also have the radiator in, i used an n15 gti radiator and while the bottom mounting pegs mate perfectly with the mounting points on the n16 lower front panel the upper mounting points are completely different, so i'll need to make something up tomorrow to deal with that. then i'll need to mate up the powersteering pipes and work out what driveshafts i'll be using. i'm hoping the car will be back on the road by friday but that will depend on how working out the wiring goes :tongue:

looking good man, just a question though, it has a 2.0 crank in it, did you just put the crank in and thats it??

nah the engine is still completely standard, i want it all in and running with all the eventual niggles worked out before i even think about starting the modding.

as will said this winter the engine will be pulled and stroked with new bearings, chain, tensioners, conrod bolts etc and depending on funds an 88mm overbore, also i think i'll need to get about 1mm taken off the 16ve piston crowns to take the compression down to reasonable levels, but i've still to fully research the stroking regarding compression ratios, valve clearance etc.

probably mate lol, like i said i've still to fully research the stroking on the 16ve, but it's not a prority atm as i've to get it in and running properly before i even consider that side of things ;)

all i can see in the near future is wires and more wires and then getting lost and having to start all over again tracing the wires OMG the wires its superman 3 all over again

Back
Top Bottom