N16 SR16VE

thanks ross much appreciated, and i'm back now :)

heh thanks spook, the funny thing is i was wearing my dewalt safety/sunglasses earlier on whilst cutting the same mounting bracket, it was just while doing a last little adjustment when it had gotten too dark to wear them and see that did it lol, but proper clear safety goggles were taken out to nistros this morning lol

dave it has me totaly confused too, but i've tried several times, and even nistro had a look just to be sure lol. there is nothing inside the diff that shouldn't be there, the splines slide in with little force and are either hitting the bar that runs down through the middle of the diff, or the bearing/seal shoulder is hitting it's recess and it's ending up about 3 to 4mm short of where it needs to be for the halfshaft bracket to line up with it's mounting holes. i'm taking the calipers out with me tomorrow to get proper measurements of what space there is inside the diff, and i also have garry (97VZR) on neovvl.co.uk taking some pictures of his vz-r o/s inner cv for me tomorrow (as his is currently dissasembled for a nice rebuild :shades: ) so i won't be cutting/grinding till i have all the facts in front of me.

i had a similar issue when fitting mine, couldn't really work it out either.

after a lot of fiddling and messing i somehow got it to line up lol, though maybe not too delicately :P

i remember talkin to sam and we were sayin maybe loosening the shaft from that bracket so it can slide out, bolting the bracket to the block, the sliding the shaft in might work?

if that makes any sense typing at 2am

Craig it makes perfect sense, but then the driveshaft will be pressured against the bar that runs through the diff :eek:

And Sam as it looks like the LSD inner cv is shorter by 4mm that would explain why it works the other way round without problems, but I'm having problems putting a gti shaft into an LSD box so thanks for your input....

- I'M ON MY MOOOBBIILLEEEE!!!!!!!! -

I didn't have this problem. I too have a VZR box with a Gti shaft. It's hard to help without seeing it for myself but is there something stopping the shaft going all the way in correctly? Such as the lip at the end of your steel rule? Very odd because it's the other side which is a bastard to get the VZR CV in not the side you're struggling with.

yeah i know i seem to be the anomoly sim, but i'm no newbie mechanic and i know for a fact now what the problem was, the shoulder that's part of the seal is what was stopping it going in far enough, also once it was trimmed the shaft itself was then hitting the bar that runs through the middle ov the diff (you know the bar you see when trying to look through the gearbox) the driveshaft has now been modified and it now allows the bracket to line up perfectly. once next winter comes and i'm doing the rebuild i will look more into this as to why it seems to be only me that this has happened too but for now the drivers side shaft is in and mounted :)

i'll hopefully get the near side shaft, the fuel rail hooked up and the powersteering done after crail tomorrow (weather dependant) and that just leaves the wiring for next week :shades:

Good progress Phil.

After having removed a qg from an n16, there really isnt much difference in the wiring between the 15 & 16. i cant see it being that difficult. the only headache will be the NATS....

Good progress Phil.

After having removed a qg from an n16, there really isnt much difference in the wiring between the 2. i cant see it being that difficult. the only headache will be the NATS....

why? he's using the VZR ECU is he not?

yeah i'm using the vz-r ecu, and looking at the loom for the VE it's pretty much self contained and it even has the relevant relays still connected etc :shades: the only real connections needed will be for the signals to the dash etc, and those into the relay box and of course the main connection to the battery needs to be modded to tie in with the fuse/junction box of the N16. my only real worry is not having a vz-r manual in english to get the wiring schematic from, so i'm just hoping that the gti loom coloring is similar and i can use that to get by :)

the only thing i have to do with the nats is totally bypass it's immobiliser, but i would have to do that anyway while fitting the alarm so that's no biggie :)

im using a gti shaft in a vzr box also
could it not be that the engine itself is sitting to far to one side of the bay with the modded mounts

im using a gti shaft in a vzr box also
could it not be that the engine itself is sitting to far to one side of the bay with the modded mounts

Nah the distance from the gearbox to those mounting holes can't be changed by the mounts, and there is only 1 modified mount anyway, the driverside one, and even then the mount itself is still completely stock, its only a custom bracket :)

- I'M ON MY MOOOBBIILLEEEE!!!!!!!! -

Nah the distance from the gearbox to those mounting holes can't be changed by the mounts, and there is only 1 modified mount anyway, the driverside one, and even then the mount itself is still completely stock, its only a custom bracket :)
I hope its a beefy mount. mines snapped :-( I need to get it re-welded on Monday

thanks sam, i have all vas's stuff bookmarked already, hence why i said not about having ve stuff in english, but like i said the connectors are the same on the gti dash so i just hope the pinouts are similar too

it can't really, as the suspension/hub and gearbox are fixed points. but i would be concerned about wearing away the central pin in the diff!

right after we got back from crail yesterday we proceeded to put on the n/s shaft which wen't without any problems but when we moved to the gear linkage 2 problems popped up, firstly the bracket that connects to the stabliser arm and the rear mounting bracket on the qg15 selectors has the bolts spaced incorrectly for the n15 bracket, and secondly the actual selector shaft is canted at about a 40º angle off the vertical so when it's mounted to the gearbox selector rod the gearstick sits over past 5th when it should be in neutral :/

looks like i need either a set of QG18 or N15 gti selector rods, which is annoying as i could have bought and picked these up from rick yesterday :mad:

Back
Top Bottom