N16 SR16VE

thanks craig, and i knew you were pulling our conrods lol, and tbh if we didn't let ourselves get sidetracked or have the bad weather we'd have probably been finished by now, but like will said this is stuff we do to relax and enjoy ourselves (which i'm sure you, and most other members here do to :) ) and if you do too much in one sitting or crack on in bad weather it can start to become a chore and that's no use, so we've been flitting between jobs on my car and will's car/parts as well. but we're on the home stretch now and it shouldn't bee to long till those limiter vids for steven appear ;)

oh-no-you-didnt.jpg

Ok so we've been working on nistro's gti mostly this week but today we have finished the mechanical side of the ve swap :shades:

I needed to use the ve's power steering pipe that goes from the pump to the rack as the qg's was a totally different design with vacuum pipes and crap, the only downside to this is that its too long so I will need to get a piece of metal pipe the same diameter as the inside of the pipe then cut and splice it to a better length.

The heater pipes where they connect to the matrix are all ve and required a slight modification to fit the n16 matrix as the n16 pipes are thinner, what i did was cut a 30mm length of the qg15 pipe and pushed/forced it into the ve's pipes, then fought to get them on the heater matrix connections lol.

There was no problems with the fuel lines but the throttle cable will need looked at as it's too long with not enough adjustment to take up the slack, an n15 one may be the solution or i will make up a plate to relocate the cable mounting plate that's beside the throttle body.

I also removed the air-conditioning pump and it's bloody heavy mounting bracket (it's well bloody heavy, so much so that i was wondering if it provides any rigidity to the block?) and fitted a new powersteering pump belt and a new shorter alternator belt.

I need to go get 3.6l of oil, 3.9l of gearbox oil, 2l of antifreeze, and 2l of powersteering fluid to refill the engine, box and powersteering and it's all set.

So now it's on to the part I'm dreading, the wiring :eek:

Yes mate! Finally. I think a GTi pedal/cable assy bolts straight in dude... (i might be talking shite, its been a while since the last '16!)

Dont worry about the wiring, if you put as much effort into that as you have the mech side of things, it'll be running in a few days :)

yeah don't i know it mate lol, we'll both just have to be tooled up with snips an all pockets lol

thanks liam, with what we've seen when looking at the n15 and n16 throttle cables the n15 cable will fit the n16 pedal, so it should just be the cable that's needed, or if i want to be a risk taker i can use a brake cable tension bolt/stud from a bike on the pedal side of the n16 cable to make it shorter, but i'm thinking that may turn out to bite me in the ass lol

anyway wish us luck for tomorrow :lobes:

Reactions: IT
:cool:
Superman 3 i tell u...... We are going to get eaten by wireing looms

Only a few will understand that, and being the same age I do.....now that was funny, made me laugh out loudly, right next to the misses, who is looking at me strangly....Pmsl....good luck with the looms...:angel:

You'll end up like this when your finished.
superman3ws-300x278.jpg

well i didn't get anything done on the car today as i was busy in the AM and in the afternoon me and nistro took a drive up north to go see andy s and pick up the p&p head that nistro was buying from him. was nice to meet yet another aoc member and andy is a really nice bloke and his car is simply stunning, you could eat your dinner off of his engine bay!

i also saw this today so i had to take a few snaps, i mean it's not every day you see an ariel atom in the flesh :shades:

2011-04-09113315.jpg

2011-04-09113307.jpg

2011-04-09113253.jpg

2011-04-09113236.jpg

2011-04-09113225.jpg

also nistro cracked open the gearbox that failed and led to the demise of his old gti, and to say it was fooked is an understatement lol

2011-04-09154532.jpg

2011-04-09154518.jpg

2011-04-09154458.jpg

2011-04-09154451.jpg

so wiring shall commence tomorrow, it's a pity as i should be going to visit the inlaws for sunday lunch and it annoys me that i can't go...

nuts, bolts, spanners who knows lol, nah iirc the gti in question had ~170hp and the box completely failed changing from third to fourth whilst driving up a dual carriageway, then a few minutes later a dumb bitch run right up the rear end of the car even though it was sitting there with the hazzards on and put an end to it's usable life!

what a tit! thats some amount of damage to the gears, like completely bust ha, no wonder it just stopped! haha

Back
Top Bottom