Raceworx P2 GTi

ian even my ignition timing isn't mega advanced and thats runnin xylene and a bit of nf race formula mix

with just vpower it pinks it's tits off...

ian even my ignition timing isn't mega advanced and thats runnin xylene and a bit of nf race formula mix

with just vpower it pinks it's tits off...

So would you lower your comp a bit while the Engine was open if you were Ian?
I would... I'd aim for 11.5:1.
Joe

11.5 hardly seems worth though.

More isn't necessarily better when we're talking compression.
Even 10:1 is relatively high-ish.
11.5:1 is high.
12.5:1 is basically race spec.
Anything higher than that and you're into the methanol/other race fuel regions.
You build your engine around the fuel you plan to use, hence why I'd lower it for pump fuel.

From 10:1 to 11.5:1 is still over a 10% increase in compression.. think about it that way.

My point is, I'd rather have 11.5:1 and an agressive timing map.. than 12.5:1 and a conservative timing map.
That way, you're actually using the engine's potential, instead of wasting potential power cos you've got too much detonation to dial in the timing needed to extract that power.
Joe

pffft more fuel will sort pinking and det :P

Well you would think that wouldn't you, but Jez couldn't stop craig's Detonating without putting the ignition timing back to a pathetic 4*.
I've been told that 3* of ignition timing could cost you up to 10hp.. so do the maths...
And get that comp down below 12:1.
Joe

tbf joe jez's first map was on 97ron fuel

on 99 with 10% xylene and a bit of nf formula it's pretty aggressive timing.

however, thats also with a 1.5mm HG which will have dropped it a touch.

For a daily on pump fuel i'd definitely be dropping to 12:1 at the very least, i would have said ian but from your thread on the dash i thought you were sticking 11:1 ish for future plans.

nah.. i was thinking 11:1 but then i thought im going for it with the 12.5:1 the numbers arnt exactly 12.5 there closer to 12:1 and with the metal HG and N1's i dont think it will be that bad.. im sorry but i think people just see high comp and think theres somthing special needed.. there's cars running 95ron in blazing hot countrys with unmodded 16VE pistons straight up.. also how much cylinder pressure is there in a 10:1 DE running a bar of boost..

trust me i didn't just see high comp and think i needed some booster, i genuinely needed booster from experience and my first map.

my car pings its tits off without it, i can hear it inside the car even lol

i hope it works out dude but i can't buy the unmodded 16ves in a 2l runnin on 95ron in hot countries, 95 octane maybe not ron.

we shall se lol if it needs booster it needs booster.. if it needs abit more of a reduction of compression ill get 184-c's :D theres an answer for everthing.. or i could try some N20 to try and cool the intake temps or even water injection, maybe go green and do LPG lol

You've still got the Low lobes though Ian remember... so you're not gonna be able to solve the problem by fitting bigger cams like you would in a DE.. Yours was Detting oat the top end of the low lobes wasn't it Craig?
Joe

184c need headwork, custom IM and exhaust mani to work properly, the idle sucks apparently, i want but not sure i have the clunge for them

and yes, as joe says, on 97ron it was the top end of the low lobes that was the worst area for det

and ross have you listened to your engine with det cans? knock sensor could be kickin in too, and 11.5 - 12.5 is a fair jump lol

like i say, not being funny i'm not speculating, i've experienced it first hand and it wasn't mild det on 97ron, it was mega harsh loud as fuck hear it the other side of the room kinda det. Jez thought my pistons were in bits kinda det, thankful i had forgies to take the battering kinda det

lol

i don't understand these kinds of comments^

ok a hardcore n/a tuner may make a few extra horses but not magically get rid of det that Jez can't. Jez is good, i'm very happy with my results, i'll bet on a dynojet i see 230bhp+ which makes my car where it should be in relation to all the more common US builds, that would therefore show there's not much wrong with the map.

Det as i see it is more a result of stuff i probably got wrong inside the engine, not just compression ratio but cam timing/lobe seperation, squish, other measurements n stuff i don't even know about.

Surely as far as the map is concerned the 2 areas of concern as far as det can be controlled are timing and fuel. Both of which are ok given the power results.

if its the top of the low lobes that are deting you could bring the high lobes in before that starts then go from there.. the old 184-c's were not made right from what i gather the new ones are better as they have the 20v low cams.. then some ubber mental top ones..

im not spending more cash on some pistons that will basically make it an SR20VE with n1 cams come on guys i want somthing abit special..

Back
Top Bottom