th3k3ymast3r's GTiR

Thanks for your comments much appreciated. Took the best part of a year to do, still requires a better brake system but still an awesome ride nonetheless. I'm hoping before JAE I would have this resolved and possibly either an HKS BOV or torque damper too.

Cars looking amazing as always, apart from the above any other plans or are you basically dont now??

Cars looking amazing as always, apart from the above any other plans or are you basically dont now??

1st on the list is the brake system - as I just don't like the brake fade feel at spirited driving mode.
K-Sport have increased their 8-pot 356/32 from £998.75 to £1299. I'm hoping my mate Japanese MeisterR is still a competitive price - I've yet to find out how much of an increase it has now become. In general dollar prices of raw metal materials are up - so no avoiding it really.

For now, just saving the money up for it. The BOV could relieve some pressure to the turbo, prolonging its life - so sounds like the next good idea. The torque damper again for the same reasons but to help the engine mounts. There is quite a lot of engine movement under boost - I'm sure fixing it would add to traction at the price of more vibration. The only issue is where would I fit it to, there isn't much room in the engine bay!

Other niceties, would to be to rid of all the deep scratches, dimples. Thankfully not evident when you take photos. I've always wanted to replace the front seats to Brides but not in a rush to get them, overtime is non-existent at the mo.

The only thing I don't like is the squeaks it makes when turning, yet to find out what it is, the uprated bushes or the 4-point brace. I mean nothing is rubbing against anything so nothing to really worry about but would be nice to know what it is?!

What engine mounts are you using mate?
I did think about an engine damper, only place I thought fitting it would be simple was off the drivers side engine mount where it joins the block, possibly to the strut top or even strut brace.
It did occur to me that thats not very central and probably not the most effective position though.
And I wouldn't trust mounting it coming off the inlet.
Joe

What engine mounts are you using mate?
I did think about an engine damper, only place I thought fitting it would be simple was off the drivers side engine mount where it joins the block, possibly to the strut top or even strut brace.
It did occur to me that thats not very central and probably not the most effective position though.
And I wouldn't trust mounting it coming off the inlet.
Joe

Just the OE ones me thinks!

engine_bay.jpg

Ideally you want it in the center against the firewall but that's never gonna happen.

nengun-1352-02-5zigen-pro_racer_-_engine_torque_damper.jpg
nengun-1352-00-5zigen-pro_racer_-_engine_torque_damper.jpg

I was thinking some custom plate to use the TMIC holes on the rocker cover mounted up against the strut somehow? Assuming that the strut side linkage does not foul the bonnet?! Or shear off the strut top mount bolts!?

how do you find your whiteline lower brace? how close is it to the ground?

im tempted to get one but i struggle on some roads as it is

how do you find your whiteline lower brace? how close is it to the ground?
im tempted to get one but i struggle on some roads as it is
Hey Andy, yeah its pretty close to the ground but I've not had any issues with sleepers and there quite a few around where I live, but its largely more to do on how low you have your coilovers set.

You can't see it in the first photo but you can on the second:
fmic_mugshot.jpg
front_lip.jpg

It certainly supports the handling well I'd probably get more torque steer without it and its probably helped eliminate the wheel hopping!
_________________________________________________​

A little news good and bad...

Got the Prothan Engine mounts, Stufa gonna help me fit them sometime. Also got the HKS SSQV BOV in limited Black - looks pretty sexy. Need to get the flange welded onto the pipe and various blocking off the stock recirc valve piping.

The bad news, the car died last week. Its had its issues starting on second attempts, the tachnometer flipping when coming down from fast to crawl speed (but I'm told that's a MoTeC feature?!) A new starter motor has been fitted but it still suffered poor starts. Then recently the engine cuts out while driving?!

Sparks? Coils? HT Leads? No idea but I'm wondering whether these symptoms points back to the ECU ignition cut off feature? Definitely not battery or alarm as I was at least able to get the car started and driveable before engine cuts out. So hopefully I find out towards the end of this week or when the trailer guy turns up.

Got a pic of one of the prototype Big Brake systems by MeisterR that I'm hoping to have developed for my car.

n576457616_2024576_4077814.jpg

Stufa mentioned I may need to upgrade the brake servo being 8-pots? Anyone any knowledge on this?

That is bad news i hope you get the car running again soon. Those brakes look really good mate but is there any reason other than to fill your 18's for 8pots youd be doing endies with them ha ha

I think the idea was to stop the car however, running 18's in general tends to make the stock brakes look a little silly. Aside from that nobody has ever put anything bigger than 320's on an Almera, these MeisterR's are 356's which should be ok. He could have put on 367's if he wanted but I told him it would be a bit OTT and the money would be better saved on other things like a parachute, life insurance or a roll cage.

LMAO at parachute or life insurance.

Damnit, sometimes I forget quite how awsome this car is untill the updates roll on in again.

This car's freekin amaze.

That is bad news i hope you get the car running again soon. Those brakes look really good mate but is there any reason other than to fill your 18's for 8pots youd be doing endies with them ha ha

lol, well mostly for filling that 18" black hole, but if I'm gonna replace a part I'll wait for the best possible. Followed by respray/bodywork and lastly some 330 mm rear brakes perhaps next year.

I'm hoping that the faults don't mean I have to upgrade the coils and leads. If so I'll go for the Splitfire Coil Di with custom Magnecor HT leads unless of course the kit already comes with a set. Change the sparks to HKS Platinum or NGK Iridiums

Well didn't need to upgrade the sparks, coils or leads. Car starts fine, map settings were lost but that's been sorted. The new HKS BOV is now installed.

The drive was solid, nice new sounds from the BOV. I'll have to get it recorded in my next run. Here's some pics in the meantime.

HKS_SSQV_BOV_BLACK.jpg

HKS_SSQV_BOV_BLACK_INSTALL.jpg

Got the BOV on, sweet. Felt like a nice bit of kit that. How did you sort getting the map back?

Back
Top Bottom