th3k3ymast3r's GTiR

How come your still using a stock GTiR MAF if you are using a MOTEC ECU?

Wouldn't you have been better to go with a MAP sensor instead?

The MAF isn't plugged in?

Then get it to f**k.

Have you seen the bore of the GTiR MAF...it's about 1/2 a micron big...maybe not that bad, but very small anyways!

Cheers

Dave

i carnt believe i just read that! the maf isnt plugged in!!! seriously?? the first thing most peolpe do when going for big power is bin that! even the N15 maf is better but to have it when you dont need it flabagasted!! (awsomeword)

still car looks awsome!

thats one hell of of a read start to finish, making me want to increase the power in mine now, think itll have to wait till next year tho

TBH I didn't get an explanation to why the engine cuts out while driving. They had suspected something loose in the wiring but wouldn't know where to start looking. Typically it never cut out when they had it, in fact, when they came to trailer it, it started first time?! Probably by then the spark plugs were dry enough to spark as they could have got wet from constant starting attempts?

The map settings loss were probably due to low battery period long enough for the settings to be erased. This was sorted. TJ were pushed for time last week - they had an engine build that had to be ready for the Easter weekend so when I got there they didn't have time to have a handover - they just gave me the keys.

Hopefully, it won't be so manic this week and I can get 5 minutes of their time to go through it. In terms of the MAF, I had no idea it wasn't plugged in; originally when this project began I had intended to change the MAF to the Z32 but was told that the ECU didn't need it?! You guys probably understand this better than I do as to how it works without one, if this is the case.

I assume the MAF still being there and not being used is only a little weight disadvantage? I'll probably check with TJ before removing it.

So I'm non-the wiser. She works for the moment - probably give her a nice run when I see Stu on Monday.

It's not really the weight you have to worry about.

You are obviously wanting maximum power from your engine and the fact that the engine has to draw air through an inlet the size of the GTiR MAF, which is about as small as it gets really, then you will be struggling right from the start.

Ditch the MAF and attach the air filter some other way, keeping the same diameter piping all the way to the turbo inlet. That way, the air flow has no restrictions and will not increase or decrease in velocity.

Cheers

Dave

I noticed it wasn't plugged in at JAE, but thought as things had been quite hectic leading upto it they had just left it on to get it done.

But as your such a legend using Motec, it's a standalone management and doesn't need the MAF reading for fuel and timing. Like Dave said take it out and connect the filter to the piping.

Prothane mounts are on all but the back one, as this would have meant removing the brace to get to it and we simply ran out of time. The first mount next to the block on the driverside was a real b!@tch to get back on and took up the majority of time trying to line up the block so we could get the bolt into thread.

Some necessary shaving off the outer mount (on both sides) was needed to get access to the bolt with the wrench.

The car vibrates like no bodies business but now accompanies the whining of the gearsets. Gonna try and capture on video on the weekend.

at_stu_workshop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom