th3k3ymast3r's GTiR

Th3k3ymast3r said:
Quick update, we've given up on the AEM ECU, it appears to be faulty and has been sent back to the US. So for now we've adopted the A'PEXi Power FC route which seems to work a dream.

I'm still waiting on my racing SARD FPR, SARD 800cc Injectors and RAIZIN Volt Stabiliser from Japan. So Tim at Tuning Japanese has put on some 560cc injectors and a standard SARD FPR, he has also replace the fuel pump, apparently faulty too?

So on initial test we are getting 300bhp at .9bar so sounding promising. I'll be installing the A'PEXi AVCR Boost controller now - happy days! Considering I haven't seen the car in almost 2 months!

Some on the GTiROC have said stock internals are good for 400bhp, so I'll probably still to a final output around that mark.

Got some good discount on 356/32 8 pot caliper big-brakes so may get them next.

this guy likes to sell you stuff, why 800cc injectors? They seem a bit big for what you need. Dont see how you need a fuel pressure regulator either with an apexi power as it should control the fueling. Why a raizen volt stabiliser too? seems a bit strange how the pump was broken and so was the AEM?

Ditto. 800cc for 300hp? They`re good for 500whp.

Smaller injectors set at a hight PSI give better fuel atomisation.

ie Standard gti injectors are good for 200whp at 4 bar.

Good luck with the build though. :)

NaylorGTI said:
this guy likes to sell you stuff, why 800cc injectors? They seem a bit big for what you need. Dont see how you need a fuel pressure regulator either with an apexi power as it should control the fueling. Why a raizen volt stabiliser too? seems a bit strange how the pump was broken and so was the AEM?

rowdy-GTi said:
Ditto. 800cc for 300hp? They`re good for 500whp. Smaller injectors set at a hight PSI give better fuel atomisation. ie Standard gti injectors are good for 200whp at 4 bar.
Good luck with the build though. :)

The parts I sourced though a contact in Japan, Tim is merely doing the work.
The reason I've gone for 800cc is because ultimately I'm aiming for 500bhp.

The RAIZIN Volt Stabiliser for the following properties:
• Increases Torque at Low and Middle Speeds
• Stabilizes Idling and Improves Engine Kick-Over
• Improves Engine Response
• Increases Headlight Brightness
• Improved Fuel Economy
• Improved Battery Life
• Improves Audio Quality

With the AEM ecu, I have no idea why it was faulty or why the fuel pump was too?

FPR I think was a part of the AEM solution but its still on there. I'll get a better idea when I next have a chat with him.

The AVCR was just another buy I wanted - I'm told they're the best boost controllers you can get.

Awesome, more bad news; on road test the car initially behaved quite well, however, when coming onto boost, we ran into traction problems or rather the lack of. Got silly wheel spinning then the clutch went to heaven.

So tomorrow they're going to open up the transmission to see what's in there and suggest parts to change. We agreed a Quaife gear set and Nismo LSD solution and a closer inspection of how the geometry set up can be improved.

jesus you made of money?? quaif gearset!! lsd yes but ithe gearset is abit overkill even for a target of 500!! iv not seen an AEM work on a pulsar yet.. im suprised you didnt go with an apexi earlyer...

i know im alays sounding negative but im just gona tell you straight those voltage stabalisers do nothing.. apart from fill your engine bay up with wires and add some weight to the car.. trust me wait till the car is finished with it of do a dyno then fit it if it makes any reasonable BHP the ill eat my old cowboy hat if i can find it... i hope it all goes smothly and you finish it though dude must be a killer waiting for it to be fnished!!!

Corbs said:
Not to be a prat but do you not just want a useable amount of power sometimes?

i know what your saying but i get the impression this wont be something he will drive everyday, i too dont see the point in having massive power for a daily driver but as a fun weekend car it makes more sense.

going to be a very quick car once its finished, 150bhp still feels quite quick to me, 500bhp in an almera is going to be pretty scary.

Raceworx said:
jesus you made of money?? quaif gearset!! lsd yes but ithe gearset is abit overkill even for a target of 500!! iv not seen an AEM work on a pulsar yet.. im suprised you didnt go with an apexi earlyer...

i know im alays sounding negative but im just gona tell you straight those voltage stabalisers do nothing.. apart from fill your engine bay up with wires and add some weight to the car.. trust me wait till the car is finished with it of do a dyno then fit it if it makes any reasonable BHP the ill eat my old cowboy hat if i can find it... i hope it all goes smothly and you finish it though dude must be a killer waiting for it to be fnished!!!

Hey Raceworx,

Dude value your points: I'll trial a before and after, sounds sensible. I was expecting it to improve the electrics of the car as opposed to increase bhp though. I agree in that I can't see how BHP could be increased via grounding cables and a box full of resistors but can see the advantages for audio feedback and electrics.

Yeah I was elated when he said it was all running on the A'PEXi Power FC over the AEM. Not sure why he didn't suggest it first. Still, it was all short lived. Now considering whether this is my own Christmas present if done in time.

Tomorrow he'll draft up an items and cost list. So I can see whether we can source parts cheaper than he can get them for or not. As this is an unusual set-up with little historical background, he has to look at the transmission in order that we can look for the correct part for the correct type (GTiR/P10).

Corbs said:
Not to be a prat but do you not just want a useable amount of power sometimes?

Well 500 is an aim, getting there is going to be an experiment of parts and what's viable in terms how much we can fix the traction by.

We may end up with only 350 to 400 of usable power.
Tim pointed out that the mechanisms of clutch, gearset, differential being uprated would help support the stronger load but once done we would need to look at how we can improve the drive control.

Then, in testing, the car would go almost sideways on boost but in random fashion. Great for drifting on the wrong side of the carriage way in a kinda russian roulette gun ho attitude!

Corbs, your not being a prat for sharing an opinion. I'm all open for advice. I'll be the first to say I no nothing about engines in terms of building one. In fact this has all been a steep learning curve for me.

Essentially, I put to Tim: I would like a safe 500bhp what do I need? The all familiar how much do you want to spend. hmm what parts do I need and how much are they?

sprint said:
i know what your saying but i get the impression this wont be something he will drive everyday, i too dont see the point in having massive power for a daily driver but as a fun weekend car it makes more sense.

going to be a very quick car once its finished, 150bhp still feels quite quick to me, 500bhp in an almera is going to be pretty scary.

TBH I'm aiming for 500bhp just to be different, but a safe and stable 500bhp and yes I only use the car in the weekend but most times not even that. I work 2 minutes away from where I live. I live in the centre of town so most things I can walk to and I have a Micra as a daily run around. The furthest I'm likely to drive it is JAE each year!

hey dude no owrries if i had the moneis id be having a straight cut Gbox in my car with only standard output as i love them :D im not one for sterio though so stuf like speakers and amps and interferance means nothing to me lol...

if your only trying for 500BHP max then id just get the Gbox re-built the case ribs welded and an LSD and youll be sweet especially if your only driving it a little and not dragging it all the time...

Darren198712 said:
yeah but has a hydralical clutch cable. so its a bit more of a mission to change over.

yeah and your saving about 15 quid on one of the parts

I'm hoping it'll be easier to come by merely mentioning it to the tuner that this is an option and he can go and find one.

Yeah, I find it odd that the part number are the same but there is a £15 difference?

Hopefully, I get to see him Saturday, with me feeling 100% over the flu!

okay, having been able to see him today, unannounced. I arrived to see my car up on the lift. So I couldn't get any photos done. Still Tim was able to point out things that had to be replaced like a missing 10mm bolt that held the front of the cross-member - it appear to have sheared off at some point. Bushes look very warn and the brake pads are mm thick! The flywheel needs diamond cutting back from the clutch giving out. The clutch plate itself was found literally smoothed off!

So now we are at a cross-roads in terms of proceeding forward. The SR20DE(P10) gearbox will not take the new load and will continue to shred a replacement clutch. So it has been suggested to replace the gearbox with a P11.

However, this is where I need help, we are unsure of which particular gearbox numbers to look for in terms of matching the gearbox to make and model and year. In order that we obtain the correct parts for that gearbox i.e. LSD, uprated clutch. Also, whether it would fit on a Pulsar SR20DET? Does it come a with slipper?

This much I know:
Nissan Primera P11-144 ((Mk II, 1999—2002) also known as the Infiniti G20)

Also, any ideas where I can get this gearbox? A new one is around 2.5k!

WOW! I answered your post over on NPOC and then came looksie over here!

I know the yanks like to use the 144 gear box and it's respected as the best option due to strength etc. We have 2 NPOC'rs who are running the GTi-R engine in their Primera's. "davidevans007" in his P11 and "DNA540i" in his P10. To be honest I couldn't confirm if either of them used the 144 box, I'd side with "no they didn't"... But may well be worth you PM'ing either of them on NPOC (start with Dave).

AFAIK you Almera guys never got the fantastic designed drive shafts from Nissan out of the factory LOL, so yours are probably more reliable than the Primera ones BUT, will the standard Almera ones take 500 BHP?? I didn't notice anywhere where it's been mentioned you've changed to a different drive shaft or maybe running with the Pulsar OE ones?

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this and getting it all done, because you genuinely sound like a top bloke, who will happily listen to others and take / heed advice without spouting any shite back. So you get my respect and support.

Take care,
Shaun

essNchill said:
WOW! I answered your post over on NPOC and then came looksie over here!

I know the yanks like to use the 144 gear box and it's respected as the best option due to strength etc. We have 2 NPOC'rs who are running the GTi-R engine in their Primera's. "davidevans007" in his P11 and "DNA540i" in his P10. To be honest I couldn't confirm if either of them used the 144 box, I'd side with "no they didn't"... But may well be worth you PM'ing either of them on NPOC (start with Dave).

AFAIK you Almera guys never got the fantastic designed drive shafts from Nissan out of the factory LOL, so yours are probably more reliable than the Primera ones BUT, will the standard Almera ones take 500 BHP?? I didn't notice anywhere where it's been mentioned you've changed to a different drive shaft or maybe running with the Pulsar OE ones?

I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with this and getting it all done, because you genuinely sound like a top bloke, who will happily listen to others and take / heed advice without spouting any shite back. So you get my respect and support.

Take care,
Shaun

Thanks Shaun, much appreciated.

I'm not sure what drive shafts I have on there, but I'm sure that the tuningjapanese would have pointed out it if it needed changing, which may mean that I have the Pulsar ones?!

Now looking forward to Monday when the replacement gearbox arrives. Ideally, I would like a carbon clutch for the P11 144 but I've yet to find one compatible. There is the HKS Overhaul Clutch kit, apparently a universal fitting with a range of disc options.

I may also go for the Nismo LSD which he has in stock. I also saw in the shop some Nismo Engine mounts?! In fact, I saw a lot I'd like but for now just uprating what is needed to get the car back on the road.

Going to visit them tomorrow so hopefully the car will be on the ground for pics.

Back
Top Bottom