Nismosteve's red GTi

Those FTO brakes I've got should be up to the task, I've Mintex pads to go with them and I'll be using 5.1 fluid. The car currently has braided flexi hoses.
This caris purely a road car so I'll not be able to drop the weight much.

Most people I heard who fit FTO brakes end up with a spongy pedal as a new MC is required.
What compound Mintex?
Like I've said previously standard calipers are fine. I've never had brake fade, even after 20+ laps, so your fluid and pads choice must be to blame. Calipers don't overheat.

I wouldn't overly rate mintex pads tbh. Best brake mod I done was plug out the abs with ftos and 5.1 fluid. Didnt get braided lines after seeing a few fail

With braided lines and FTO's the pedal feel isn't that different to stock on mine. A little more travel but it's fine.

Pad choice is key, even with decent discs and 5.1 fluid I managed to make the FTO's fade but its down to the cheapo pads I used.

I've no idea what pads are in there at the minute? And I'm not sure when the fluid was last changed. I put a 283mm kit on my pug gti from 247mm using 307xsi calipers. The extra travel was minimal really and when fitted a 23mm non abs MC it was only marginally less travel.

Just bog standard blueprint ones in just now. My garage had spotted they needed changed during a service and I never got round to changing them. Can't remember when fluid was last changed, maybe 12 months-ish when calipers were put on. but wouldn't harm to do it now.

People with spongey pedal had ABS. Without ABS there will be no issue.

I was running 4pots and a rear disc conversion on a standard 15/16 master cylinder with 5mm max extra travel and a solid pedal.

They're great with anything other than immense braking from 3 figures, which it hardly ever does, I was just having a B road blast pushing the limits somewhat. It will be sorted soon:)

Never can say I had the spongy pedal issue with the fto's either, had the braided lines but switched back to standard after seeing them fail, still no issue. Using carbone lorraine rc5+'s never had an issue with brake fade either.

Had some bills to pay last week so I'm chomping at the bit to get cracked on. there's no chance of it being ready for JF2, but it will be a good way to gauge the before / after at JAE where hopefully it will be all sorted including a respray.
This week I shall be getting a wideband set up sorted and a load of little bits and bobs such as gaskets, studs, nuts, banjo bolts, hoses and such like.
I also need to get two front wheel bearings and get the hubs sent off to be machined along with the caliper carriers. Then I cat get them powder coated.

I'm also starting to hear the beginnings of CV wear in the near side shaft so that's gonna need looking at soon.

120mph-45mph braking on FTOs with standard pads will still result in fade.
120mph-45mph braking on stock GTi brakes with uprated pads will result in zero fade.

All the proper, not wannabe track cars on here use standard calipers.

Agreed. When out in stufas track car at castle coombe the other year stock calipers bit hard which I was quite surprised at.

No doubting gti calipers will do the job, but no other Almera is as light as yours...

Spyke will attest to how good the Wilwoods are.

I lost faith in my stock calipers a couple of times with yellowstuff braided lines and 5.1 fluid.

Was going to say, my gti will be quite portly I should imagine? Not sure what these are as standard, mine has all its interior, spare wheel, tool kit plus some more I've added and a sub.
I'll stick it on the scales at work on sat when I finish work and see what its at.
And then in the future I'm hoping to see around 270-300bhp from it at some stage so I'm just future proofing it.

And speaking of turbo stuff!

NorthEastLincolnshire-20130609-00433.jpg

NorthEastLincolnshire-20130622-00452.jpg

Turbo water cooling banjos, tails and washers.

NorthEastLincolnshire-20130622-00453.jpg

Set of Subaru STi 440cc injectors and they even came with the plugs, caps and bolts! Although I'll have to de pin them and fit my injector plug pins into them so its still a resultand I won't have to cut the loom! :)

NorthEastLincolnshire-20130622-00454.jpg

Turbo oil feed hose with T piece adapter to fit nissan thread.

IMG-20130622-00455.jpg

Standard GTiR elbow and intake. Still need to get the 3 bolt hotside stub pipe.

My list of required parts is getting shorter yay!

Back
Top Bottom