Nismosteve's red GTi

I've managed to bag an afternoon session at japfest 2, so hurriedly ordered some EBC red stuf pads and new standard discs, quick change on sat morning along with the brake fluid should give a little more stopping power for Donnington!
While I was spending i bought some other little bits for the boost conversion.

Might be pointing out the obvious but plenty of brake in miles on Saturday before you hammer them.

Lol! You may bored with my sedate pace, I'm too scared to push hard as I can't afford recovery home! Discs and pads and new dot 5.1 fluid will be done Friday night after work so they'll be well bedded in by Sunday mornings 104 mile drive to donnington.

Lol! You may bored with my sedate pace, I'm too scared to push hard as I can't afford recovery home! Discs and pads and new dot 5.1 fluid will be done Friday night after work so they'll be well bedded in by Sunday mornings 104 mile drive to donnington.

You may think that but i did over 500 miles back and forth before japfest

My pads were not bed in just from motorway driving

Read my post again Sam, it says they'll be bedded in BY Sunday mornings 104 mile trip lol! Friday night and Saturday's shake down should sort that. Plus a decat going in for added pops and a good check over to make sure nothing bad can happen, like that engine bay fire in that poor lads Subaru legacy at castle coombe.

Okay so the car needs some improvements lol! Going on track has highlighted a few areas that need addressing. Mainly in the power, handling and braking departments!

The yokahama tyres on the front were not good and understeered badly, the springs are too soft, the dampers are way past it (o/s frront damper seals went) And the red stuff front pads could only manage about 6 laps before starting to fade. The ABS kept shitting itself too.

I don't know what those glanza turbo things put out but down the straights they just blew me away. Well most things did to be fair. I just didn't have the power.

Next time it will have another 100bhp, so handling an braking need sorting!

So a new list of things to do approaches!

Abs needs sacking off
Air con has no gas so needs sacking off
Battery needs moving to the boot
Coilovers are needed
Poly bushing is needed
Weight reduction is needed
More supportive seats are needed
Get some nice track oriented tyres.

Ive seriously been bitten by the track bug and it looks as though the car may now head in that direction.

20130707_124411.jpg
20130707_145641.jpg

20130707_053720_1.jpg

There's a huge difference between a good road car a dedicated track car.
Removing some weight will make the car go quicker, stop quicker and handle better. Pulling the ABS fuse will disable it.

That glanza with the green wheels was seriously shifting and even held its own with the evos. Fair play you were braking quite late from what I could see though.

How much was the session as at japfest one its only a 20 minute session

I bought it from a guy on civic life as his car wasn't going to be ready. Bargain price of £109 for the 4 hour afternoon session inc shared garage in the pit. I only organised it the Monday before the event lol. Otherwise I'd have put more effort into the car.
Ive never driven Donnington before and was terrified of breaking the car so I was going easy on the engine.
But my god is it fun!

Okay well its mot time next month and it's not looking great.
I've had some knocks coming from the front so I've got a pair of lower arms and drop links to fit.
The rear discs are shot
I replaced the decat and noisy exhaust (track day blew the baffles out) with a sports cat and standard ish cat back with a scorpion back box, is now much quieter.

I noticed a lot of surface rust under the rear beam, so that needs addressing.
I'm also going to have to renew the rearbrake pipes.
The front off side damper is leaking
The rear off side spring is broken at the top and the damper has had it
The metal work where the sun roof drains are is completely rotten. So that needs cutting out. And I've had a feel around the sills, they look great but have that flex when pushed and you can hear crumbling metal. If I were to use a sharp impliment they'd go through life cheese.

So I'm not sure how to proceed. On top of that the rear arches are beginning to go, as are both front wings and the cross member. I could scrape it through a test this year but next year there's not going to be much left.

I'm really disappointed with how fast is gone. And I'm unsure what to do this time next year.
It started getting to be a pain when it was cold so I've just serviced it and it feels much smoother now. I think the chassis only has another 12 months left in it.
The likelihood of finding a good shell is very slim. But it maybe worth looking but I can see it being broken without even seeing boost.
Unless I can do a Liam and find a good N16 to transplant the boosted SR into?

Find a man who's handy with a welder. (or take this an opportunity to learn to use one)

same goes for the paint. It takes a lot to make it a lost cause.

As for the dampers, best excuse for coilovers ever. Don't let it get you down though. You still have a fun car.:)

Back
Top Bottom